California - Northern

water in pans or small temporary waterers is the only thing i can think of, too.

Amelia update: still alive!  still puffy and closed-eyes, but moving a wee bit more than she did yesterday, and when i put a small dish of yogurt in front of her she pecked at it happily.  so that seems to be a good sign.

Sending good thoughts to your beautiful Amelia...
1f618.png

Quote:
The funny thing about eggs being shipped in newspaper and saw dust is that these are some of the same group that think it is impossible to hatch shipped eggs. They do not seem to want to learn new methods and blame the post office. Bubble wrap must be too new, like the inner netttssss. Most of them do not want to use email and one of them does not have a website at all. Not even one for information and pictures.

I have suggested shipping methods that get eggs to me better but they think I am crazy. The Skyline method is similar to yours but he uses no packing peanuts.

I think I will call Strombergs since the SQ breeds that they sell are from Urch, and ask them how the eggs are shipped. If they ship them then it may very well be worth the extra cost they charge.

Last edited:
Multiquote is not working for me this morning.

Debi, lovely egg!

Ron, my Dorkings are laying sporadically. I think some may be hiding eggs already.

Laura, could you mix the Corid with water and then mix it with yogurt?
In case you don't know, there is a chicken "doctor" online for consultations. He does charge a fee, but has a good reputation. http://www.askthechickendoctor.com/news/45-frontpage/48-consultations-with-doc.html

Speaking of him, I ordered Valbazen from him. It came with detailed directions on how to dose the chickens- in metrics according to weight. I'm totally math challenged plus can't find an accurate way of weighing my birds. I read that there is a narrow margin for overdose with Valbazen, so I'm concerned. Kelly, do you simply use a general size dose with all your birds?

I have heard that many of the old timer master breeders do not use email and do not like selling hatching eggs. That might be why they don't use much care in packaging. They prefer to sell started birds or chicks. And even show quality birds will only produce a small percentage of offspring that are close enough to Standard to be breeders.

Cooper, I see a breeder of black Penes in the new SPPA breeder's directory.

Hi everyone I didnt even know this thread existed:) i am a small chicken farmer and I am working towards a few different breeds to add to our layers. That is our business as of now, selling eggs to eat in our small mountain town.I currently have RIRs Black sex links Barred rocks NHRs And my new fellas are 2 pairs of blue laced red Wyandotte bantams A pair of french black copper marans A small flock of Easter eggers And tomorrow I'm getting a small flock of silver laced wyandottes! Really wanting to add a few more marans hens but am having sooo much trouble finding any :/ I just want them for the egg color do I'm not picky I would take or buy someone's culls even :) Here are a few pics of the chicks we hatched last year and a few misc

Hi everyone I didnt even know this thread existed:) i am a small chicken farmer and I am working towards a few different breeds to add to our layers. That is our business as of now, selling eggs to eat in our small mountain town.I currently have

RIRs
Black sex links
Barred rocks
NHRs

And my new fellas are

2 pairs of blue laced red Wyandotte bantams
A pair of french black copper marans
A small flock of Easter eggers
And tomorrow I'm getting a small flock of silver laced wyandottes!

Really wanting to add a few more marans hens but am having sooo much trouble finding any
hmm.png
I just want them for the egg color do I'm not picky I would take or buy someone's culls even
smile.png

Here are a few pics of the chicks we hatched last year and a few misc

Welcome to the best thread on BYC!
smile.png

The funny thing about eggs being shipped in newspaper and saw dust is that these are some of the same group that think it is impossible to hatch shipped eggs. They do not seem to want to learn new methods and blame the post office. Bubble wrap must be too new, like the inner netttssss. Most of them do not want to use email and one of them does not have a website at all. Not even one for information and pictures.

I have suggested shipping methods that get eggs to me better but they think I am crazy. The Skyline method is similar to yours but he uses no packing peanuts.

I think I will call Strombergs since the SQ breeds that they sell are from Urch, and ask them how the eggs are shipped. If they ship them then it may very well be worth the extra cost they charge.

I know and I've experienced the same thing with "old timers" not being keen to the new ideas, the only way I've been able to get someone to change is if I send them the box with packing peanuts inside and the pouches, shipping slip and make it really easy for them, step by step LOL

I bought 30 eggs from them a year ago and they charged $20 for the shipping. If I remember correctly, they are the ones that placed the eggs in a carton, poured sawdust over them, then taped the carton shut. I forget what was around the carton in the box.

Maybe their shipping methods have improved.

Deb
its funny you mentioned this. I received a box of shipped eggs from someone off ebay two years ago and they are shipping the same way. I wish I had known upfront because I opened it in the house and wow... what a mess. I was a little perturbed until the I set the eggs and 100% developed and 85% hatched. I was super happy with the result. I then turned around and shipped a couple of my shipments the same way because I figured the shavings provided great insulation from bumping and temp changes. I warned buyers to open box outside. I heard back from a few of these customers that they had great results too.

I have since change my method to the "Meeks Method" because packing with shavings is just too messy. I do think it works well thou, and may be an option if shipping in the dead of winter to cold climates or in extreme heat as the shavings provide excellent insultation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom