California - Northern

we had about 1 1/2" of rain last night in about a hour period. it snowed over the Sierra. I drove over Carson Pass at 10 pm and was snowing up there.
pretty cool for September.
The King fire site got the same rain i think. at least on the south side of the site.
besides where they are going to let the fire burn out on its own the fire is gone.
just smoldering trees and stumps remain of the fire.

as someone posted on my El Dorado F.B site

" The King is dead "
thank goodness its over. a lot less stress now for my community
so glad to hear the good news

@ronott1 Ok here are my new layers. The colors in real life are a little more vibrant than the pics .
On the right: UofA Arkansas blue
Middle: OE cross(penedesenca x UofA )
Left: accidental hatch. I grabbed the wrong egg for the incubator. I thought it would be an OE , but the mom as an EE . Apparently she did not pass on the blue egg gene.
But she's a nice layer and she's pretty
I'd like to see that blue egg in person, it's really pretty.
Do you have any charts that you can compare it to and post the reference?

Last edited:
Probably best to take fecal samples to a vet (or send them to Davis) and see if you have a problem with worms. That should tell you what type of worms you have (if you have any), from there you could research the treatment needed. All the contradictions make my head spin, too, so you're not alone, lol.

-Kathy

Thanks. I guess I'm mostly confused because some people are prophylactically dosing their birds on a regular schedule rather than treating for a known problem and there's so much contradictory information about what works and how to administer it. But as my chicks don't arrive for another two weeks, I guess I can quit being a worry wart, LOL!

Thanks. I guess I'm mostly confused because some people are prophylactically dosing their birds on a regular schedule rather than treating for a known problem and there's so much contradictory information about what works and how to administer it. But as my chicks don't arrive for another two weeks, I guess I can quit being a worry wart, LOL!

Only listen to the people you know and trust. There is a ton of misinformation online these days. Most people giving advice are not qualified and probably read it online somewhere. Chickens are really easy to raise, but you can make it as difficult as you like.

Walt

Only listen to the people you know and trust. There is a ton of misinformation online these days. Most people giving advice are not qualified and probably read it online somewhere. Chickens are really easy to raise, but you can make it as difficult as you like.

Walt

I'm still figuring out who those people are, LOL! But You and Kathy are high on my list.

I'm still figuring out who those people are, LOL! But You and Kathy are high on my list.
The chickens we had when I was growing up did not have any treatment. They were hatchery Reds and Barred rocks and they lived up to 10 years old and laid eggs the entire time. It was the 1960s but I do not think things have changed much since then.

Cedar for building material seems to keep mites away too. If you suspect worms the best thing to do is to have UCD or a local vet run a fecal float test.

Remember to have fun with them!

What percentage of protein is chick feed? Right now, I'm feeding an all-flock feed, with 18% protein (with oyster shell offered). Do I need to buy a separate feed for the chicks?
18 to 20% is good for them. Usually flock raiser and Start\grow are the same thing with different sized crumbles. Sometimes starter has amporillium in it to help build immunity to coccidihosis. I do not use medicated starter and have not treated for cocci this year. They are doing great and it is likely because I have been hatching from my immune flock.

The more I do that the better they will do here since the flock is used to the buggies I have.

I'd like to see that blue egg in person, it's really pretty. 
Do you have any charts that you can compare it to and post the reference?
I don't have any charts. But it's a little washed out in the pic.
I can say that my CL lay a very similar color. The only way I could tell is this pullet decided to lay ontop of a pen in the coop. So I caught her in the act and after removed her wrong hiding spot. Otherwise it would be hard to decipher between the two breeds. If that makes sense

Quote:
My husband will be glad to hear that we don't have to buy separate feed, after all
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom