California - Northern

When I used the LG to hatch I set it up like 10 days in advance and fiddled with it to get it right. Now I have my brand new Brinsea Mini Advance and I don't know if I should plug it in early was planning on setting eggs on Monday.

I always set up in advance. I like to watch for a couple of days to see that everything is going right. Even though I haven't hatched too much the last few years I am thinking of getting a mini advance myself. My mind always has high hopes that my body doesn't follow through with but how hard is that right?...........LOL

Excuse me while I brag a bit but my youngest son just finished Med School and is moving to Mississippi to become an Emergency Resident Physician with Ole Miss University Hospital. He always enjoyed raising chickens growing up which I'm sure has led to his success.
Wow...that is definitely something to brag about! You must be very proud!

I live just outside of Sebastopol, Ca. But I grew up in a small town in Alabama. So in my mind the division of North and south california goes bay area is central, anything above is north and anything below is south. But that's just how it makes sense to me. And to who ever was asking about a feed store that sells chicks in sonoma county, I got mine from the feed store in sebastopol. the opened up in the old Frizzell Enos building. Get weekly shipments of a wide variety of chick. Plus they have great prices on feed and suc.

Welcome to the group!
welcome-byc.gif
We welcome everyone here and let them decide on the dividing line themselves. Some make that line at the Mexico border even!
lau.gif

Hello there I am Sueg of Ceres I met a few of you all at Karen s party. What I am looking for is the part of BYC group that helped get chickens transported from point A to B Does anyone remember it?
I need a Wheaten Ameraucana Rooster tranported from Carmichael to Ceres south of Modesto.
Does anyone remember who helped organize I think it was Kim something.
Help would be appreciated.. Thanks
Hope you find someone to transport!

Well I am happy to report that the 1 little Buckeye chick that defied the odds finally hatched overnight last night......25 days after being set! She is still fluffing up in the hatcher but looks really good...except for the bit of membrane that was stuck on her back. It ha been removed now....

Excuse me while I brag a bit but my youngest son just finished Med School and is moving to Mississippi to become an Emergency Resident Physician with Ole Miss University Hospital. He always enjoyed raising chickens growing up which I'm sure has led to his success.

Congratulations proud Papa & rightly so. What an accomplishment & I too think raising animals with your parents is such a great thing to give your child while growing up. Such a good teaching & caring experience. I believe that each of us are as a whole are a product of all we have lived, loved and learned as we go through our lives. Good for your son & your family.

My chicks are en route! They left New Orleans last night & should be arriving tomorrow. I am so excited; I have been waiting since October! I am getting 10 2 week old bantam BBS Orpingtons. Hope they all arrive safe & sound.

At 2 weeks old they should be ok with the cold I think but hopefully they will be ok without food & water?

My chicks are en route! They left New Orleans last night & should be arriving tomorrow. I am so excited; I have been waiting since October! I am getting 10 2 week old bantam BBS Orpingtons. Hope they all arrive safe & sound.

At 2 weeks old they should be ok with the cold I think but hopefully they will be ok without food & water?
Congrats on the new chicks coming.
smile.png
They must be something special to order them from that distance.

My chicks are en route!  They left New Orleans last night & should be arriving tomorrow.  I am so excited; I have been waiting since October!  I am getting 10 2 week old bantam BBS Orpingtons.  Hope they all arrive safe & sound.

its good weather hopefully they will be fast!

But... i thought it was illegal to ship chicks after they were a day old until they were heavier? Did i miss something? Now im curious.

its good weather hopefully they will be fast!

But... i thought it was illegal to ship chicks after they were a day old until they were heavier? Did i miss something? Now im curious.

Uh, oh, I hope I did not get anybody in trouble! I have no idea. Maybe she is putting food & water with them though.

Uh, oh, I hope I did not get anybody in trouble! I have no idea. Maybe she is putting food & water with them though.  

oh you won't heh. The usps is not a stickler about poultry rules. unless shes sending you chicken bombs all will be well shipping into ca. Hopefully they are going express however. Im just waoting for someone to chime in how its ddone (and now a call from homelandd security aabout chicken bombs...)

Hi Folks,
Really sorry about the loss of your menagerie. It really stresses one's constitution when animals close to one are marauded, maimed and/or killed. And what I'm about to tell you then is one of those cases of closing the barn door after the horses have escaped. Having been a working zoologist (I'm retired and in my late seventies now.) I think I have found a relatively inexpensive material which makes a dandy enclosure material which to date I have have had no predatory critter breech. Been using it for more than 20 years in wild country. We humans are odd creatures in that we move into the wilderness and expect the carnivores to leave our domesticates alone. Ain't gonna happen. So what is this material that holds up against predation? It is called stucco wire. A 150' roll, at last purchase, cost about $80.00, plus tax. It is available at both Home Depot and Lowe's. The stuff looks for all the world like chicken wire, is about 37" wide and is as tough as nails. I'd say that it is twice as tough as chicken wire and maybe a bit more than that; and because of its toughness is a bit difficult to handle being resistant to being straightened from off the roll and it also resists bending. The mystery is why have the lions, bobcats and bears left it alone? I can't quite imagine them not overwhelming the stuff, but so far, so good. My area is rife with foxes and coyotes and they have failed to tear it nor do I think that even a skunk can have his way with it. Part of the trick in using this stuff is to fasten it at about 6 inch intervals with deep wire staples or better yet to hold it down with 3/8 inch long wood screws backed by washers to spread the hold down contact. Let the rest of us know your opinions on the matter especially if you have had any experience with it. I wish you well with this material.
Thank you very much,
Neal, the Zooman

Hi Folks,
Really sorry about the loss of your menagerie.  It really stresses one's constitution when animals close to one are marauded, maimed and/or killed.  And what I'm about to tell you then is one of those cases of closing the barn door after the horses have escaped. Having been a working zoologist (I'm retired and in my late seventies now.)  I think I have found a relatively inexpensive material which makes a dandy enclosure material which to date I have have had no predatory critter breech.  Been using it for more than 20 years in wild country.  We humans are odd creatures in that we move into the wilderness and expect the carnivores to leave our domesticates alone.  Ain't gonna happen.  So what is this material that holds up against predation?  It is called stucco wire. A 150' roll, at last purchase, cost about $80.00, plus tax.  It is available at both Home Depot and Lowe's.  The stuff looks for all the world like chicken wire, is about 37" wide and is as tough as nails. I'd say that it is twice as tough as chicken wire and maybe a bit more than that; and because of its toughness is a bit difficult to handle being resistant to being straightened from off the roll and it also resists bending.  The mystery is why have the lions, bobcats and bears left it alone?  I can't quite imagine them not overwhelming the stuff, but so far, so good.  My area is rife with foxes and coyotes and they have failed to tear it nor do I think that even a skunk can have his way with it.  Part of the trick in using this stuff is to fasten it at about 6 inch intervals with deep wire staples or better yet to hold it down with 3/8 inch long wood screws backed by washers to spread the hold down contact. Let the rest of us know your opinions on the matter especially if you have had any experience with it. I wish you well with this material.
Thank you very much,
Neal, the Zooman

our raccoons can pull apart stucco wire. That being said i use it as a seconday barrier on the outside of my dog kennel coops to keep them from being able to reach well for a running chicken if they manage to bounce open the coop doors or someone sneaks out.

Could noynot use it for qquail coops however.

Back
Top Bottom