California - Northern

The Rose is Mme. Isaac Pereire a bourbon from 1881. I used to collect roses and at one time had over 80 varieties. I could only keep a few when we moved. I still have some neat old roses as well as moden hybrid teas.
Where are the rose pictures? I love old roses. I'm trying to grow some but they have to be hardy to make it in my yard. Do you ever take cuttings? I'd love to buy some old varieties.

Had fun at the Norcal show:) My kids very well and really are getting the " showing bug". It was really nice talking to the judges and fellow chicken people.
Trisha, it was so nice to meet you in person. I appreciated hearing about your breeding practices. Your dedication and hard work is paying off. When/where did they give out the first & second place ribbons? I didn't see those. Sorry to have missed those of you who were there and the OR lady who couldn't make it.
It was very nice meeting you too:) your Delaware was gorgeous. You had to take your coop cards to the desk by the raffle. They were handing out ribbons and other prizes. In the hurry to coop out, we misplaced one coop tag and so we didn't get a ribbon for that bird's placing. Trisha

I live in Placer County, Roseville, CA. About 20 minutes from Sacramento. Hello everyone!
welcome-byc.gif
What kind of chickens do you have?

EGG!!!!!!!!!

celebrate.gif
Yea!!!!

Paradise, CA...about 15 miles east of Chico, home of Sierra Nevada Brewery and Chico State University. I consider anything north of Marin County to be Northern California.
welcome-byc.gif
There are a couple of us close to you. What kind of birds do you have?

Four two-week old Barred Rocks. One I am pretty sure is a cockerel. And he is the friendly one. Figures. Have a coop from Costco but it's a bit flimsy, so I am going to reinforce it with some hardware cloth, build a run out of PVC and chicken wire, and perhaps move the coop into a plastic shed for night time safety. Rottweiler/Shepherd to guard during the day, S&W for night time protection...
big_smile.png

Four two-week old Barred Rocks. One I am pretty sure is a cockerel. And he is the friendly one. Figures. Have a coop from Costco but it's a bit flimsy, so I am going to reinforce it with some hardware cloth, build a run out of PVC and chicken wire, and perhaps move the coop into a plastic shed for night time safety. Rottweiler/Shepherd to guard during the day, S&W for night time protection...
big_smile.png
Post pictures of your Rocks!

We love playing the cockerel or pullet game.

The Rose is Mme. Isaac Pereire a bourbon from 1881. I used to collect roses and at one time had over 80 varieties. I could only keep a few when we moved. I still have some neat old roses as well as moden hybrid teas.

Where are the rose pictures? I love old roses. I'm trying to grow some but they have to be hardy to make it in my yard. Do you ever take cuttings? I'd love to buy some old varieties.

The picture is on " my coop" page. I have four old roses on that trellis. Two climbers and two large bush/ climber types.

Mlle. de Sombreuil -
Baronne Prevost-
Mme. Isaac pereire
Paul Neyron

I have done cuttings. I started some Sombreuil cuttings for a neighbor a couple of years ago.

Trisha, it was so nice to meet you in person. I appreciated hearing about your breeding practices. Your dedication and hard work is paying off.

When/where did they give out the first & second place ribbons? I didn't see those.

Sorry to have missed those of you who were there and the OR lady who couldn't make it.

I have to tell you Kim that the judges really liked the Del and went on about how they haven't seen a good one in many years. You are doing a fantastic job with them.

Walt

I have to tell you Kim that the judges really liked the Del and went on about how they haven't seen a good one in many years. You are doing a fantastic job with them.

Walt
I know the hens look amazing I wonder about the cockerels. I think they seem to be lagging a bit (at least in coloration) than the girls.
Here are the 2 cockerels Neil has access to. The one with the barring in the tail is a Kathy bird from Kim's culls.

The one with the back turned here is one from Jules (fortyfivefarm) line.

We both have 2 pullets from Kim's culls. I think it is definitely harder with the boys because you usually cull them harder than the girls and don't usually have the option to keep backups like you can layers.

One more vote for sweet Marans.
Here is Jean-Luc Peckard (French Black Copper Marans roo) that my 5-y-o son is CONSTANTLY carrying around:

The FBCM hens are stand-offish but not dominating. My turken (Pumpkin) & Saipan (Porky) hens are the co-bosses right now.

ETA - hens pics

Hatchery FBCM hen

FBCM hen from breeder (OneChickTwo)

Last edited:
On top of getting my first TWO eggs yesterday, I saw Sylvester tidbit for the first time. He's taken to sing/humming almost constantly and when I gave them some hard boiled egg yesterday (it came in a prepackaged salad and I do NOT like eggs in my salads!) he didn't eat any. He made excited noises and passed bits of it to Phoebe, who's one of the lower pecking order girls (she's #3 outta 4).

Back
Top Bottom