California - Northern

On top of getting my first TWO eggs yesterday, I saw Sylvester tidbit for the first time. He's taken to sing/humming almost constantly and when I gave them some hard boiled egg yesterday (it came in a prepackaged salad and I do NOT like eggs in my salads!) he didn't eat any. He made excited noises and passed bits of it to Phoebe, who's one of the lower pecking order girls (she's #3 outta 4).

Yay for eggs!
Yay for tidbitting!

One more vote for sweet Marans.
Here is Jean-Luc Peckard (French Black Copper Marans roo) that my 5-y-o son is CONSTANTLY carrying around:

The FBCM hens are stand-offish but not dominating. My turken (Pumpkin) & Saipan (Porky) hens are the co-bosses right now.
So happy he is working out and isn't mean! Kern

Quote: He is still challenging me occasionally but I just pick him up & carry him around for 5 mins & then he remembers his manners.
I have found he really hates feed scoops. (?)

He's in "time out" from the flock because I believe he was exhausting himself (to the point that he lost a lot of weight) trying to service so many hens.
He is very dedicated to all his wimmens.
With PoultryDrench & rest, I am seeing rapid improvement.

Hi Laura, thank you for sharing your experience with Marans. I am happy that you found a good home for your rooster. I saw photos of him, and he was simply very handsome! Do you have any photos of the chicks you hatched recently? Any extra pullet chicks ; )

Lual

i am delighted to report that the new owner of my rooster sent photos of him settling in with his new home and flock, and everyone seemed quite delighted! the guy commented on how the rooster was far more of a gentleman with the rest of the flock than their previous rooster (who was killed by some loose dogs), and much less aggressive with his family.

and i haven't taken any recent photos of the chicks, but can try to get some -- they're living in a rather un-photogenic cardboard box of a brooder right now, but hoping they'll soon be feathered enough to move outdoors. a friend is coming tomorrow to pick up the five silver campines for his flock; uncertain of gender yet for the four marans, one marans/isbar cross, and two splash isbars (although one of the marans is definitely looking boyish). if you are interested in marans pullets, i can certainly let you know once their gender is clearer!

best,
laura

On top of getting my first TWO eggs yesterday, I saw Sylvester tidbit for the first time. He's taken to sing/humming almost constantly and when I gave them some hard boiled egg yesterday (it came in a prepackaged salad and I do NOT like eggs in my salads!) he didn't eat any. He made excited noises and passed bits of it to Phoebe, who's one of the lower pecking order girls (she's #3 outta 4).

I love watching my boys find treats for their ladies! and he is a Beauty!

Quote:
Thanks! I was curious to see if the behavior would kick in. He stopped taking treats directly from me a week or two ago (unless the girls are off somewhere else, in which case he'll still accept meal worm or two). It's kind of amazing what's hardwired into them. So far he's been a perfect gentleman. *knock on wood* He didn't take any of the live meal worms I gave them on Saturday, but he didn't tidbit either. He just stood over them and watched the girls snatch them and run away with their prizes.

Back
Top Bottom