California - Northern

This is great! We've been at 110-111 degrees here and pretty much tarped the gated area to block most of the sun
I have a side nipple bucket for water so I threw in a few pre frozen bottles of water to make their water cold - then I literally watered down and area in the gated area around their coop. It created a small pond they drank out of until it soaked into the ground
Once that happened they dug up the moist dirt and rolled around and sat in it

Thanks for the tips btw
You're welcome!
In this extreme heat it is a good idea to supplement your regular nipple waterers with open dishes. Especially the horizontal nipples are bot easy to drink from and when the chickens are panting it can make it tricky to drink from at all. Also they need a lot more water than usual and that is much easier to do from a dish. Finally, with an open dish they can dunk their wattles when drinking which is cooling as well...

Hot up here in Crescent City today, too, but too smokey to open anything now that's it's cooled down outside. All the fans are going, but it's still warmer inside than outside.
Ughh, I know, the combination of smoke and heat has been abysmal. Even down here near Sonoma we were completely smoked in on Friday and Saturday, with heat going up to 112 on Fri and 110 yesterday. It really was like an oven, the air just burning on the skin.
Last night the blue sky finally came back through - so much better today even with it still being over 100....

Last edited:
Ughh, I know, the combination of smoke and hest has been abysmal. Even down here near Sonoma we were completely smoked in on Friday and Saturday, with heat going up to 112 on Fri and 110 yesterday. It really was like an oven, the air just burning on the skin.
Last night the blue sky finally came back through - so much better today even with it still being over 100....
It is very bad in Woodland today. The smoke seems worse than yesterday for us

Ughh, I know, the combination of smoke and heat has been abysmal. Even down here near Sonoma we were completely smoked in on Friday and Saturday, with heat going up to 112 on Fri and 110 yesterday. It really was like an oven, the air just burning on the skin.

Ikr. I was at lake McClure and it was terrible.

Back
Top Bottom