California - Northern

Not sure if the Internet ate my last post. I lost the hatch of debs beautiful eggs. I just can't get a handle on the humidity with this new bator. 1 Cochin and 1 crem legbar hatched. Several pipped. I helped one other cream legbar out of its shrink wrapped shell but even with the vita mix the two cream legbars have gone slumpy. The kids and I are super bummed. Dh is sympathetic even with all the cash I've gone through buying the bator and two sets of eggs.

We have one super feisty lonely bantom Colombian Cochin. He is probably a rooster ;-)

Ahhhhhh! I know I'm not the only one struggling but I do feel like quite the murderrer! Just opened the eggs and most looked completely developed....

Sincerely ,
Utterly defeated...

Ohh, I'm so sorry your hatch didn't go better.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Because of their vaulted skull, silkies are more prone to neurological damage/disorders.

Yes. If a vaulted scull bird gets pecked or even grabbed wrong by the neck it can cause brain swelling.

I'm having trouble getting the anti inflammatory. I can order it online or from Canada but it is prescription otherwise. We are going to try aspirin ( about 1 pill in a gallon of water) as a substitute until then. I'll check some vet stores tomorrow to see if I can find a few.

She can control her neck for a while and eat. Then she tucks it under again and complains. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Yes. If a vaulted scull bird gets pecked or even grabbed wrong by the neck it can cause brain swelling.

I'm having trouble getting the anti inflammatory. I can order it online or from Canada but it is prescription otherwise. We are going to try aspirin ( about 1 pill in a gallon of water) as a substitute until then. I'll check some vet stores tomorrow to see if I can find a few.

She can control her neck for a while and eat. Then she tucks it under again and complains. Tomorrow will be interesting.
Poor baby. I hope she improves!

Congrats on all the new chicks, some of the more unusual breeds/varieties. Just shows me how many I don't have room for.

Sad when we try so hard to save the little underdogs and they don't make it. At least they aren't suffering.

Squishy played her sad eyes on me today. She has been sitting for 3 or 4 days on nothing. I gave her 7 bantam eggs to snuggle with and now she's a growling little banshee. Just hope she doesn't get to beat up featherwise, she's DD's most dependable showmanship bird.

The other 6 under another OEGB are due to hatch on tuesday. Last time I candeled, in a half lit coop, they all seemed to be on track.

The 2 lf broodies are out of luck for the time being. Maybe when the BLRW hatches hers I'll have something to set.

Lovely English Orps from Deann have surprised me by hatching 12 hours earlier than I expected. Of the six that went into lockdown (out of 7 - one blood ringed by day 10) all have pipped and 3 are out. With one of them, though, I just don't know what I'm seeing...

The white stuff on it's little buns? I just can't tell what it is. I'm sorry that the picture isn't better - I don't want to open the incubator unless I truly have to, especially if this is some form of mushy buns/unabsorbed yolk. Please help!

I haven't opened the incubator yet, so I'm still not sure what is on her buns but this morning she is up and wobbling around with the five others! All my eggs that went into lockdown hatched!

I haven't opened the incubator yet, so I'm still not sure what is on her buns but this morning she is up and wobbling around with the five others! All my eggs that went into lockdown hatched!
It just looks like the normal hatching goo that normally stays in the bottom of the shell. Kind of a white ricotta cheese looking stuff. Once in a while it will be on the chick, normally in the shell. It shouldn't be attached to the chick and will just come off. If it dries on, you may need to wash it off a bit when you take the chick out of the incubator. Just be gentle in case the chick has a bit of an enlarged navel and there is some cord under their too.

I WISH I could be incubating that many eggs!!! I want to see pictures when they hatch!

So Beautiful!!!

I have no idea what you are talking about here, its like a foreign language!!! Gah! I have to read each sentence soooo slooooowwwllllyyyyyy and even then get frustrated. Is there some chart that shows what each color looks like? I think that would help me visualize all these types.

I'm glad your hurt pullet is better. And I'm in LOVE with Ugly Boy!!!
love.gif
If only I could have roosters...
rant.gif
It can be confusing until you have the 3 colors right in front of you and then it is pretty easy. Either they have black, blue or white body color or accents. I shouldn't have added the lavender color into the mix because that confuses the issue. All you really need to know is that a blue bird bred to another blue bird does not produce all blue chicks and you can expect the 3 colors from this mating.

This rooster is the black (wheaten) variety.

This hen is the black (wheaten) variety. Notice the black in her tail and wing bows. Blue variety hen would have blue in those areas instead.

This rooster is the blue (blue wheaten) variety. Body is blue instead of black.

The splash (splash wheaten) roosters (I don't have one for reference) would have a white body and the hens would have white accents in the tail and wing bows like the hen pictured below.

here's a question for all you chicken veterans: once hens stop getting along for some reason, do they ever reconcile? i tried letting Speedy out of her enclosure this morning, and as soon as Eleanor saw her she TORE after her -- poor Speedy kept trying to get away & stop the fight but Eleanor just kept chasing and attacking -- finally had to bundle Speedy & her chick back into their enclosure to keep them safe. i have no idea what's caused the rift between them, but i'm wondering if i have any choices besides giving Speedy away (even though Eleanor is the aggressor here, she's also one of my most favorite chickens, and Speedy is not known for her sunny personality.)

and, if there's no Anger Mgmt Program for chickens, anyone want a 10-month-old cream legbar and her 2-week-old CL/icelandic chick?

here's a question for all you chicken veterans: once hens stop getting along for some reason, do they ever reconcile? i tried letting Speedy out of her enclosure this morning, and as soon as Eleanor saw her she TORE after her -- poor Speedy kept trying to get away & stop the fight but Eleanor just kept chasing and attacking -- finally had to bundle Speedy & her chick back into their enclosure to keep them safe. i have no idea what's caused the rift between them, but i'm wondering if i have any choices besides giving Speedy away (even though Eleanor is the aggressor here, she's also one of my most favorite chickens, and Speedy is not known for her sunny personality.)

and, if there's no Anger Mgmt Program for chickens, anyone want a 10-month-old cream legbar and her 2-week-old CL/icelandic chick?
I would try to give them a little more time to work things out (controlled for safety of course). Speedy is probably just near the bottom of the pecking order and Eleanor is establishing her dominance. I had two pullets I thought I would never get integrated into the flock (for them, they were new birds), eventually it all got worked out and they lived together with only the occasional peck to remind everyone of their place in the flock. Although the poor little SS Susie eternally earned the nickname, Chicken Chcken, but her BFF Marilyn the Welsummer would hang out with her.

Back
Top Bottom