California - Northern

I solved my problem but it wouldnt hurt to ask in case the same problem in the future arise.

How often would you say its possible for one owner to take juvenile chicks and chickens for couple of days while the other owner is out? More like “chicken sitting”. I know the whole repercussions of making sure the chickens must be quarantined for a month.
Depends on how old and where you are keeping them. If they are chicks that have been inside and you keep them inside, the risk is limited, especially if you wash and change clothes before tending them.
If this is a close neighbor and you visit often, you probably already share chicken germs, so the risk has already been taken.
When infection happens, it is quick and devistating. That being said, you can be super careful and still have a wild bird deliver a nasty virus to your flock.
Swapping chickens is taking a chance... but so is going to the feed store or a poultry show or any place that has chickens. :idunnoMost times it's okay, but depends on how much you want to push your luck, I guess.

Im happy with all the rain that Cali is getting but this is just too much. My backyard looks like a mini pond, doesnt help when I recently installed a temporary brooder for my juvenile chicks.

I hope someone else is having a better weather than I am.

Same. We had to move a feeder and water to the top of our girls coop, just because they were hungry from not going downstairs, from fear of being wet.

Im happy with all the rain that Cali is getting but this is just too much. My backyard looks like a mini pond, doesnt help when I recently installed a temporary brooder for my juvenile chicks.

I hope someone else is having a better weather than I am.
It is very wet here too! The hens were very wet today

Yes, wet here also. I heard rice straw is great. I am having a hard time finding an inexpensive place to buy it. Feed stores are expensive.
On Sunday, I plan on turning the run and adding fresh straw. I will also spray with litter life

I just got a call that my second (Dale) cockerel got out while no one was home and fought with the main (Chip). He took what sounds like serious damage to his legs and may have lost an eye. I’m frustrated because I’m out of town, and can’t do more than walk my aunt through chicken first aid.
:hugs

I hope he recovers!

I just got a call that my second (Dale) cockerel got out while no one was home and fought with the main (Chip). He took what sounds like serious damage to his legs and may have lost an eye. I’m frustrated because I’m out of town, and can’t do more than walk my aunt through chicken first aid.
Sorry to hear that. The one I had taken out and put in another area is missing.

Back
Top Bottom