California quail keeping laws?

It's not just native game birds, but both native and naturalized game birds. Ring-necked pheasant and chukar are found in the wild here in California, but they are not native. If you want to keep coturnix, I do not think you would need a domesticated game breeders license because the last time I checked, coturnix was not listed in the upland gamebird list.
AS far As I can find out you do not need a license in California for quail except for California Quail. They are worried about native species. We have a lot of quail and sell them so I checked once , checked twice, and checked again on cots. I just think people at the offices are not well educated on the differences in Quail.

AS far As I can find out you do not need a license in California for quail except for California Quail.
Not sure if you meant California's quail species, but just to add in the specificity, mountain quail and gambels quail are also included.

No, I meant California state. But I'm used to it... I also raise rabbits and when I say "California" people assume the breed and the the state. I think I'll stick to the coturnix in a white color so there is no mistaking them.

I would also go to your local farmers market and see if anyone is selling Quail eggs and ask them what they do for raising and keeping Quail.

Last edited:
I also live in California.

I was considering raising quail too, and that's how I found this thread.

I called F&G, but getting a hold of them is a joke. I looked on their website too, and I couldn't figure it out either.

But they give a listing of people selling birds, so I called a few of them. You do not need a license for non-native birds. But you can purchase a license if you want or are concerned. It is $20+ change as listed, and it takes 5 minutes to fill out the form.

I'm still thinking about the Tuxedo and the Coturnix because they lay a lot of eggs AND they grow really fast. I think they could be the best ones for me. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/102281/coturnix-quail-basics-information-and-pictures-galore

I will probably want to build a separate place for them. I've heard, but haven't seen, that chickens can make them sick. I don't know. Really considering these little birds.

Back
Top Bottom