CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

I also use the "dry" hatch method but here in the high desert that means adding water constantly to keep humidity between 25-30%. At lockdown I up that to 55% but I have to close the vents more than halfway to keep the humidity up. IMO it's better to keep the vents as open as possible. That being said, I have had awesome hatches in my Brinsea. Between 80-100% hatch rates but most of those were not shipped. There's only so much a good incubator can do... Lol

Where I'm at I have trouble keeping 40% during most of the year.

Was kinda thinking that this California thread was how I found neighbors. :)

Haha. I hear ya! :D

I meant for exact regional climate variations. I've met a lot of my chicken neighbors off BYC. Love this site for this but even in my immediate area we get a bunch of different micro climates which seems to be the rule here in the West. It's nice to find out what neighbors on your block are doing if you are lucky enough to have folks close to you with knowledge.
Your neighborhood Farmer's Market can be a great resource or a local University Ag extension office?

The winter/summer thing was something I was thinking about personally. I'm in a portion of CA that has all the seasons so as I was watching the incubator do it's job I was thinking about the days this time of year that go from really cold to pretty hot. Our house if full of large windows to take in the view and if the sun is out our house heats up naturally and it's not unusual for it to be warm enough for us to open the doors in the middle of winter. My concern is when I'm at work that the house can get quite warm. I guess the incubator is supposed to adapt to that.

My thinking that the most difficult time for me to have temp swings in the room the incubator is in  will be the next couple of months where one day we could be running the heat and the next the a/c. Is this an issue for anyone else? Will the incubator adjust for it?

I agree with Chickee. The Brinseas are amazingly good at compensating for temp variations in the room. They do recommend keeping it away from windows and doors though. You're going to love it! no more running up the stairs in the middle of the night to check temps. :) Good luck!

Last edited:
I was at there today and it was $22 something, but I didn't check the bag size.
It is a 50 lb bag.
smile.png

Quote:
So, that's not too bad. The Bar-Ale is $29 and a 40lb bag. The soy-free is $16 for a 40lb bag so that makes Kings less then a 1/2 a cent difference per pound more! And Bar-Ale's organic almost twice per pound more. I'm going to followup on the supplier bringing in the Kings GMO free, that would be a nice plus and not break the bank.

Thanks for the info!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
So, that's not too bad. The Bar-Ale is $29 and a 40lb bag. The soy-free is $16 for a 40lb bag so that makes Kings less then a 1/2 a cent difference per pound more! And Bar-Ale's organic almost twice per pound more. I'm going to followup on the supplier bringing in the Kings GMO free, that would be a nice plus and not break the bank.

Thanks for the info!
thumbsup.gif

I was at the Davis Western Pet and Feed and they do not have it yet. It should be later this month. The Freedom feed is not listed on the King Feed website yet. It is possible that the one store has the test batch that King Feed put out.

Call before going to get the Freedom feed to make sure it is in stock. Of course the regular Natural Non Soy is the same price and is a good feed too.

I was at the Davis Western Pet and Feed and they do not have it yet. It should be later this month. The Freedom feed is not listed on the King Feed website yet. It is possible that the one store has the test batch that King Feed put out.

Call before going to get the Freedom feed to make sure it is in stock. Of course the regular Natural Non Soy is the same price and is a good feed too.
If you go to King feed on facebook they have two $1.50 off coupons for the freedom feed you can download. I think they are good until June.

I started getting an egg from my Black AM and couldn't figure out which was her's and which was Lettie's. Lettie has always laid my prettiest blue eggs. Until now! I think I need to name this little black girl, cause boy is she a keeper. Into the lavender egg project she goes!

Back
Top Bottom