CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

lau.gif
NOOOOO! Not until I saw the post saying what a beautiful butterfly!
roll.png
I saw all the new growth on the tree and didn't look further! We cut all our citrus way back and I'm hoping they'll set fruit now.

I know what you mean about "it hurts"........do they say how much longer before you should see improvement on that?

It hurts

This is my orange tree. The oranges get the size of a large marble and fall off. My SIL trimmed it way back, so we'll see how it does this year.

BUT do you see what's IN the tree??

YUM! I have a lemon tree that puts out like crazy all year around! I sell them in my wine bar for .25 each because I have so many but they're .95 at Safeway! Your tree looks like a good producer too! On the other hand, I have 3 other types of limes that can seem to get all the way to fruit. We planted them up near the barn (I liked them around the house in pots for the Tuscany thing) and they're doing better but this weathers so crazy, everything's confused!

How's the hand doing?

Quote:
I am sooo jealous!!! No butterflies here! No green leaves for that matter. Lots of babies hatching though!
big_smile.png

Sorry your arm still hurts so much Kim!!!
sad.png

How are you feeling this morning Pam? I hope you are taking it easy this soon after surgery and letting that back heal!

I turned them up but I had 2 thermometers in there one read 100 and one read 110! I opened 2 new ones and put them in instead. Hatching used to be so fun and lately it's been so depressing. Going back to raising dogs. Think I better go check out more kennels. Isis is almost 7 and I'm afraid I'll lose her before I have a new one to train with her.

Is Sacramento North or South California? Need advice from people in SACRAMENTO VALLEY.

My husband, children, and I are headed your way over spring break to check out the area. My husband got approved to move his same job to Folsom. We're Oregon born and raised, but had a lifetime of rain and mud. Ready for a change.

Looking for good schools, asbestos free house, and more sun/dry than Portland has to offer. I'd love to discuss schools and housing, but let's get REAL. It's all about the chickens. I currently have 7 lovely healthy young ladies between 1 and 2 yrs old. Of course they are part of the family and I would love to bring them with us, but not sure I can get them across the Cali border. I do have housing for them here if we have to leave them behind *sniff*.

At any rate, you can bet we'll be getting more ladies on the flip side if moving is what we decide to do. My biggest question is how do you keep them cool with all that heat? I would love to see your coops and runs. My chickens are miserable if the thermostat goes above 85!

Have you heard of anyone getting them across the border?

Are nicer neighborhoods likely to have HOA's that don't allow them. We are most interested in Granite Bay, though we won't be in a 1.5 million dollar house there. I wish!

I would love to hear any and everything good and bad about living and poultry ownership in the Sacramento Valley!

Thank you!

I know nothing about Granite Bay, but I'm sure someone here will know the area better. As far as Folsom My husband drove us there so he could buy me my first FBCM flock. They were all straight from Bev Davis and the people we bought from had hatched out a younger flock from them. We also went there to buy my Sportsman. As far as city property I'm just not sure, but they have very nice neighborhoods and I know the areas I've been too have HOAs. I hate those things.

Some people set up fans in coops for their birds. I'm in the Central Valley and it gets HOT! I freeze water in gallon milk jugs. I put ice in waterers and I've been known to spray down my flock. At least combs and legs. My SIL is supposed to set up a watering system with buckets and barrels and PVC. Once that's done, I'll just stick jugs into the whole thing and refreeze when I need to.

BTW welcome to the California thread. I'll add you to the first post since you're going to be one of us. Well even if your weren't. We like everybody.

OH and Sac is North.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom