CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Well, I either did a good deed today or made a big mistake.....

We have hawks around here but they've only been a problem for very young chicks. I've lost, maybe 3 in the last few years and honestly, it teaches the rest of the group to understand why the roo makes that warning growl and all the big girls run for cover. Anyway, yesterday afternoon I heard excessive hawk screeching so I put on my back brace and make a walk up to the coop but everyone's fine and and the screeching had stopped.

So today I take another walk up to collect eggs and I see the little culprit stuck in the run of the coop....a baby hawk! Every time he tried to fly he hit the fencing. I got close enough to grab him (don't tell my husband I bent over, sooo against Dr's orders). I was afraid he would use that beak or claws on me but true to any wild bird I've ever had to pick up, he stayed still. I gave him a good warning that he owed me his life and that he best not EVER look around here for his future food! I set him on the fence and off he flew!

He really was beautiful and it felt good that he let me help him. I hope he's into returning favors!

So this was my morning.
I was cleaning out the little chicken pen, full of beautiful birchen marans that I got from Cheryl. One of them got a wild hair & flew out - right into the face of Miss Kitty, the most efficient little killer on four paws. I froze, heart in throat. Miss Kitty took a half-hearted swipe at the chick, gave me the stinkeye, and left for parts unknown.
I calmly put my heart back where it belonged, picked up the chick (who was fine, thank God!) and put her in the temporary tote.
I finished cleaning the pen and picked up the container of fresh (cold!) water to put it back. It fell apart, dumping water all over the poor chicks. Blarg.
So I dried them off & put them under the light. They were shivering, but I think they'll be okay.
Today is NOT a good day to be a Marans at my house.

I'm going to go hide so I don't accidentally destroy the planet.

lau.gif
I think we can all relate to that kind of day!

I go for my post op today. It's not great yet but better. My insurance didn't pay for therapy, so I just work with it myself. Heck my insurance doesn't pay much for all the bills envolved, so I couldn't afford it anyway.

I don't know what FB has on it that's messing with me, but until this year I never went on the site anyway. No problems since I stopped going there.

I have 104 eggs in lockdown for saturday. Never locked down in the Sportsman and I'm nervous. I don't like forced air during lockdown and since my last 3 hatches were so awful, I'm a mess. I have over 200 other eggs in there too, so staggered hatch.

So my car is in the shop, yet again. I hope the part we've been waiting on is the problem. So weird, everything looks great and I still end up with the same code showing. Then last night I tried answering my phone while peeling potatoes next to the sink. Dropped it in a bowl of water, so just took it out of a container of rice. Should I cook it first before I feed it all to the birds? I hope my mechanic calls soon. I have a DRs appointment at 3 and need to ship off some eggs.

Let us know what the doc has to say. I sure hope you get your car back soon. I once dropped my phone in the toilet. It was in my back pocket and... well... I'm sure you can figure out the rest.
hmm.png

OK pic time. Sorry they aren't very good. They were taken quickly and the red brooder light is still on. Usually I like to pull them out of the brooder onto a nice fluffy towel to take pics but my back is not cooperating with my creative genius today. *OK, OK, you can quit laughing at the genius part. Jeez... can't a girl keep a few fantasies intact?*

Look at the pretty barring on these 2.

I have one very white polish baby.

My little chocolate guy is feathering in darker but some feathers are chocolate colored. Can't wait to see how her crest looks when it grows in.

The photo session exhausted them. Time for a nap.

Well, I either did a good deed today or made a big mistake.....

We have hawks around here but they've only been a problem for very young chicks. I've lost, maybe 3 in the last few years and honestly, it teaches the rest of the group to understand why the roo makes that warning growl and all the big girls run for cover. Anyway, yesterday afternoon I heard excessive hawk screeching so I put on my back brace and make a walk up to the coop but everyone's fine and and the screeching had stopped.

So today I take another walk up to collect eggs and I see the little culprit stuck in the run of the coop....a baby hawk! Every time he tried to fly he hit the fencing. I got close enough to grab him (don't tell my husband I bent over, sooo against Dr's orders). I was afraid he would use that beak or claws on me but true to any wild bird I've ever had to pick up, he stayed still. I gave him a good warning that he owed me his life and that he best not EVER look around here for his future food! I set him on the fence and off he flew!

He really was beautiful and it felt good that he let me help him. I hope he's into returning favors!

I hope you are right on that one! Shame on you for bending over though! You need to take care for awhile longer.

Wow the snow is really coming down right now! I kinda wish it would stick. It would be nice to have some snow on the ground. I might be sorry I wished that come tomorrow.

Last edited:
I love their poofy heads! They look like little Marines. They are very cute,Sunnydawn!

I do hope you all feel better,it seems we have all had surgeries lately.

I wanted to know if anyone had baby Muscovy ducks in either Sacramento or Stockton or anywhere in between. I know a lady who would like one after she saw my Daisy yesterday when we went running errands at her pet store.

She lives in Stockton but works here in Sac. She just went gaga for Daisy & I told her I'd check here.
Thanks!

Well heck...where did this barring come from? I have one barred chicken and she's an older lady, I think she's 4, so I didn't think she was laying much. Unless they're from girls who aren't barred but from moms that were?????

idunno.gif
IDK but I like it! I can't wait to see how these babies look when they all get completely feathered out.

Awwww she's a cutie! I hope you find a breeder.

Last edited:
Well we'll see how long my car runs this time. Cool thing was parts and repairs were $45. I didn't even have to call my daughter and ask her to stick money in my bank account.

Still hurts and and as my doctor says, it's tight, but she was shocked at how much I can move my wrist. She said with all the damage and how long it took to get it corrected, she didn't think it would get this far and so soon. Told her what I had been doing and then mentioned carrying things with it and she tells me with her eyes bulging to stop. I have to wear the brace all the time for at least 3 more weeks and then start weaning it off. I go back in 6 weeks and she said to make sure I have this on most of the time till my next appointment. My arm is still bruised. Not from the surhery, but from the fall. It's still purple. She couldn't believe how bad the bruising is and was. She also couldn't believe how well the inscission is fading. Vitamin E and Arnica gel. She said she needs to study up on Arnica.

Well out of the 39 eggs that were cooked at 110 I got the one chick. It's one of my lav egg projects and it's blue. Now I have 2 blues and the others are my splashy girls.

BigDaddysMom! Stop bending over!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay on the car repairs! And I'm so glad your arm is doing better. Just be careful with it. It's so easy to re-injure yourself by trying to do too much too soon.

I hope your next hatch does better. you said you had 200 in bator?

Well we'll see how long my car runs this time. Cool thing was parts and repairs were $45. I didn't even have to call my daughter and ask her to stick money in my bank account.

Still hurts and and as my doctor says, it's tight, but she was shocked at how much I can move my wrist. She said with all the damage and how long it took to get it corrected, she didn't think it would get this far and so soon. Told her what I had been doing and then mentioned carrying things with it and she tells me with her eyes bulging to stop. I have to wear the brace all the time for at least 3 more weeks and then start weaning it off. I go back in 6 weeks and she said to make sure I have this on most of the time till my next appointment. My arm is still bruised. Not from the surhery, but from the fall. It's still purple. She couldn't believe how bad the bruising is and was. She also couldn't believe how well the inscission is fading. Vitamin E and Arnica gel. She said she needs to study up on Arnica.

Well out of the 39 eggs that were cooked at 110 I got the one chick. It's one of my lav egg projects and it's blue. Now I have 2 blues and the others are my splashy girls.

BigDaddysMom! Stop bending over!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to hear that the arm is doing well and that your car repair was so cheap Kim! So sad about all those eggs but still great to hear that a lavender egg baby survived!!!

Back
Top Bottom