CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Thanks everyone, I think it's funny that that one is a Roo since the woman who sold it to me as a chick said it was a sexed pullet from the hatchery. I guess this chick fell into the 10% lol. I've been hearing some suspicious noise from the coop but can't catch whoever it is in the act. I'd rather it be this one than my favorite Marans. But with my luck they will both be Roos!

Elizabeth

Thanks everyone, I think it's funny that that one is a Roo since the woman who sold it to me as a chick said it was a sexed pullet from the hatchery. I guess this chick fell into the 10% lol. I've been hearing some suspicious noise from the coop but can't catch whoever it is in the act. I'd rather it be this one than my favorite Marans. But with my luck they will both be Roos!

Elizabeth
It's hard to tell with some breeds. A guy on the Dorking thread said hatcheries have mixed Leghorns in to all of the breeds they sell so that they can feather sex the chicks. I don't believe that is universally true, so those need to be vent sexed. I watched an episode of Dirty Jobs where they did vent sexing. Maybe you can find it to watch for fun. Mike rowe is so funny....

These are Dual Purpose chickens and the Cockerels get quite large. If he is just starting to crow you have a couple of week to figure out what to do with him.

Although I have heard of surprise Marans, they are much easier to tell gender with. Mine are 8 weeks old and I can tell for sure. The boys have pink combs and wattles. They also have copper in their wings and on their back. I see hardly any copper in the pullets.

Enjoy your chickens!

Ron

It's hard to tell with some breeds. A guy on the Dorking thread said hatcheries have mixed Leghorns in to all of the breeds they sell so that they can feather sex the chicks. I don't believe that is universally true, so those need to be vent sexed. I watched an episode of Dirty Jobs where they did vent sexing. Maybe you can find it to watch for fun. Mike rowe is so funny....

These are Dual Purpose chickens and the Cockerels get quite large. If he is just starting to crow you have a couple of week to figure out what to do with him.

Although I have heard of surprise Marans, they are much easier to tell gender with. Mine are 8 weeks old and I can tell for sure. The boys have pink combs and wattles. They also have copper in their wings and on their back. I see hardly any copper in the pullets.

Enjoy your chickens!

Ron
Hi Ron, wow I will have to find that show online, I can't believe they did an episode about vent sexing lol. My Marans is a silver Cuckoo, so pretty. If they are cockerels they have to find a new home unfortunately.

Elizabeth

Liz I can always go by and look at the if you want. The one in the pic though is a roo. I also got rid of one like him.

OK I have scratched up babies here. It don't think mom did anything intentional, but maybe the hay is the problem. She also keeps eating it all and my daughter and Kayla just went out and added more while I was picking up my car.

Last summer I had a small freezer that Bill had put in the garage for me to keep bottle frozen. I have zero room in my side by side freezer and the small one finally kicked the bucket. We had it for about 8 years, so I thought I'd have a new one by now. Two problems. I could get another, but no way to transport it and 2, most of the outlets Bill rigged up in the garage aren't working. Outlets go out in this place all the time. We never did have a working one in the bathroom. So I need to find another freezer and figure out how to get everything running right around here. That place on 2 acres in Vegas is starting to look good, except not even a blade of grass anywhere let alone shade, so I'd still be in trouble, I swear the more I do here the worse it gets.

Another grad party tomorrow and one more graduation and party next weekend. Trying to figure out if I need to hide in 4 years for all the one's graduating from high school. I swear all I get done lately is answer the phone to kids asking "Grandma are you coming to my graduation/party?" Like I'd miss them or something, but my girls tell me they all what to make sure I'm going to be there. I guess I should be thankful they love me. But man is it tiring.

Hi Ron, wow I will have to find that show online, I can't believe they did an episode about vent sexing lol. My Marans is a silver Cuckoo, so pretty. If they are cockerels they have to find a new home unfortunately.

Elizabeth

Yep it's one of the funnier ones.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom