CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

One of the peeps! It's a male, I'm almost positive. He ran over to a garden (sp?) snake and looked at it closely with his little tail feathers sticking straight up.

A real live snake? They are Garter Snakes if so.

This is a common Garter Snake. I skinned, tanned and entered one of these in the fair when I was in 4-H. It won best of show for wildlife.

That is not mine. I guess my tanning job was not that good--it fell apart after 30 years or so.

Ron

Around here anybody calls them anything, just checking the spelling!
Yup, it was live, but looked like its tail had grown back because I noticed a huge scar. It gets really warm next to the coop, so I have to go out every hour and check to see if anything is going on, but the broody is good about moving them around the big pen. I have never had the gut to skin anything, but if I had to; I would.
A real live snake? They are Garter Snakes if so.

This is a common Garter Snake. I skinned, tanned and entered one of these in the fair when I was in 4-H. It won best of show for wildlife.

That is not mine. I guess my tanning job was not that good--it fell apart after 30 years or so.

Ron

Around here anybody calls them anything, just checking the spelling!
Yup, it was live, but looked like its tail had grown back because I noticed a huge scar. It gets really warm next to the coop, so I have to go out every hour and check to see if anything is going on, but the broody is good about moving them around the big pen. I have never had the gut to skin anything, but if I had to; I would.
Quote: Sometimes I feel like a real hick.
hide.gif

Growing up we raised rabbits, chickens, pigs and steers(or heffers) for meat. For wild animals and birds we hunted for pheasant, duck, Jack Rabbit(had to be careful with those--some had a sickness),Tree Squirrel, Quail and Doves. An uncle was into Deer hunting so we had that sometimes too. Oh, we also fished and caught the ocaisonal frog. In High School I would go out to the back of the orchard by a slough and hunt for Quail. When I had about 12, I would make quail stew. It helped me work off stress I suppose.

We were taught to only kill something if we were going to eat it. Other than the Pigs and Steers, we cleaned and dressed the others.

Ron

I used to own snakes. My youngest brother when he was a teenager and in his early 20s owned snakes and an alligator. Got rid of that when his oldest daughter was in her walker and there was a big tail slap. So much for getting rid of the wife and kid before Pierre. These days, I think I'd be a screamer. I see snake holes out back and I've been trying to figure out how to kill them under ground before I see one or a chicken meets up with one. I've become a wuss in my old age.

Meeting some people today to sell a few chicks. Everyone thinks I'm weird because I don't have anyone come to pick them up. I have just lost too many birds that up and disappear. I should have learned my lesson when I was raising dogs. I had someone come back that didn't want to sign my contracts and poisoned a whole litter of Rottie pups, minus the one that had been sold.

So even with bad hatches lately I still have too many birds, so time to rehome. I was going to take cockerels to the auction yesterday, but had something important to take care of, so maybe this coming monday. I haven't hatched but a couple of Lav AMs and lost them within a couple of days, but I was just separating the pures from the EEs, OEs and my lav egg projects and I have several Blue AMs from a BBS breeding, but no muffs. The blacks do have muffs. At least my blue roo is better, but I may have to get one more eventually. Still I would think the blues would get the miffs if the blacks are. I don't even own a black other than these chicks.

Meeting some people today to sell a few chicks. Everyone thinks I'm weird because I don't have anyone come to pick them up. I have just lost too many birds that up and disappear. I should have learned my lesson when I was raising dogs. I had someone come back that didn't want to sign my contracts and poisoned a whole litter of Rottie pups, minus the one that had been sold.

Kim,

I am the same way. I don't have customers come to my place either. I have several nice big cages that fit well in the back of my truck and I drive them to the Pilot truck stop a few miles from here. That way I don't have strangers coming onto my property, we are in a public place and I don't risk contaminating my flock. I also ask people to use hand sanitizer if they choose to handle the birds before purchasing. It may not be fool-proof, but it does give me just a bit more peace of mind both in my security and that of my flock.

Jules

The Omelet Ranch is throwing a chicken party on July 15th sunday at the Ranch in Clayton. If you'd like to come and are not on the list, PM me

Should be fun...chicken swapping, great food/drink, raffle!!

Does anyone have birchen Marans? Pullets or eggs? I just got a rooster & am in need of some girls! I'm in Modesto. Thanks
And this is a huge beautiful roo. Just saw him.

So I let go of a blue AM pullet and 2 that I'm almost, almost 100% sure will lay lavender and One that was a little iffy, but also looks like one of Big Birds girls, so I hope this guy is pleased. Also gave him Cheryl's name for Jubilees and I tried to remember who had what. I let him know about this thread and the Bay Area thread, so hopefully he'll find what he's looking for.

Jules I use a truck stop too. Usually Love's in Ripon, but I tell ya, the freeways are a mess with all the construction going on. They're working 24 hours out there, but it's suposed to go on til 2014. Yuck! I swear no matter what day it is or what the traffic is like, I'll take 880 over 99 any day. Never thought I'd say that, but I learned to drive on 880, so I've gone through all the changes till the last 2 years. Things have changed there too though. I always have hand sanitizer with me too, but I forgot to pull it out today. Stupid me. OH and I also have another container of younger chicks and my daughter showed up when I was getting ready to leave. Left them on the patio. Boy do they hate me right now. LOL

I have to get more memory for my phone. My little REW Lionhead baby is the cutest thing! The wool is just starting to come in, but the smooth fur is in and it's sooooooo soft. I didn't really want white rabbits, but now I want more like this one. If it's a buck, I'm naming it Kimba. Gotta pick something else for a doe. I also need to really get serious about a rabbitry name, so if someone can come up with something I'd love some help. The name Pride is already gone and my rabbits almost all how Chowmane lines in them. I need something cool and my mind as usual is a blank!

Last edited:
Do any of you have a automatic door opener? I need to get two of them. We can't go anywhere because the chickens go to bed later then my parents
lau.gif
who take care of our animals when we go somewhere. The enclosed run area in one coop is too small to leave them in for more then a day and the other coop would be too hot this time of year. Plus, I wouldn't mind not having to go out and let them out at the crack of dawn!

Back
Top Bottom