CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Aw, thank you so much Laura, and everyone else, for your nice comments! I love working with these breeds. The cochins are sweet as can be, and I am a sucker for their fluffy feet and butts. The calico project has been fascinating for me - my first foray into genetics. The Japanese bantams are so elegant, I love watching them. And the Olandsk Dwarfs are exciting since this is such a new breed in the US. It is a landrace bird, which means that it is a bird that developed through natural selection and adaptation over centuries, with minimal intervention by humans. There is no SOP for the dwarfs, and there are subtle differences in coloration in the birds, most noticeably they can have either yellow or white legs. I plan to continue to breed for vigor and resistance to disease, rather than for any particular aesthetic features.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the adults of the breeds that I am working with

Bantam calico cochin (project) - roo

Bantam calico cochin (project) - hen

They are all beautiful, but these two... I'm in love!
love.gif
That rooster is gorgeous and would entice even me to put up with some crowing!
big_smile.png

Didn't know that about "landrace." Learn something new every time I log on! Thanks for sharing!

They are all beautiful, but these two... I'm in love!
love.gif
That rooster is gorgeous and would entice even me to put up with some crowing!
big_smile.png

Didn't know that about "landrace." Learn something new every time I log on! Thanks for sharing!
Aw heck, one little bantam roo isn't very noisy. A little wake up call in the morning, some mid-day reminders of who is in charge, and a late afternoon/early evening announcement that it is time for some rooster love - you'll hardly notice! I actually have "motel rooms" (well actually they are cages but I tell the boys that they are motel rooms) set up in the garage where they boys sleep at night so that it is a bit quieter in the morning - keeps the neighbors happy. Lots of Lemony Snicket's sons running around my back yard right now...

Sarah has my tolbunt LF, just hers aren't laying yet
Hopefully I'll be set up for some new breeds soon. Watch, I'll finally have things set up and find my house. Just like every house I ever rented. As soon as I made improvements and finished landscaping and then felt comfortable, they'd sell it. At least with the hoop coops it will be an easier move.

Back
Top Bottom