CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

SoCal here! In the Antelope Valley! Add me to the list! :)
Done!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the votes.

If it's not too much trouble, you can vote once per day (I know, I'm pushing my luck).! The voting ends in a couple days. I'll let you all know how she does.

Deb
It wouldn't let me on. :( How'd she do?
If you see one, there are a lot more.

Walt
Amen!
Ah, one of the reasons I built all my coops elevated. Nothing can hide out under them but chickens! Gives us extra shade, weather protection and extra run space.

Deb
We biuld all of ours that way too. Really love the setup!

Quote:
Hi Kim,

I seemed to have disappeared from the breeder list as well

debs_flock
Shingle Springs, CA

All APA breeds are from exhibition lines, no hatchery birds

LF
Golden Campine
Lakenvelder
Black Copper Marans
New Hampshire - German imports
Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks
Cream Legbars (*)
White Legbars (*)
Isbars (*)
Heritage SC Rhode Island Reds (*)
Araucana
Icelandic
Silver Campine
WC Black Polish
Tolbunt Polish (*)
Iowa Blue (*)

Bantams
Barred Plymouth Rocks
Buff Brahma
Serama
Columbian Cochin (*)
Silver Laced Bearded Polish (*)
Silkie/Showgirls (*)

Turkeys
Royal Palm (*)
Slate (*)

Quail
Bobwhite
Coturnix

(*) eggs/chicks/poults available starting 2013

Thanks,
Deb
Did we buy BCM chicks from you last year? We bought them just outside of Redding (east of town).
Yes, I actually have a couple of new breeds coming to join my flock soon, but I thought I wouldn't even mention them yet.

Lately my mantra has been, "No new breeds, no new breeds!"

This all started because I wanted a few feed store chicks for eggs. They weren't here a month before I said, "I need show chickens!". My son showed poultry in 4H (about 15+ years ago) and I forgot how much I enjoyed having them. Then they became like potato chips, it's difficult to find breeds I don't like or don't think they have redeeming value, need help with their declining numbers or need a champion to get out just how amazing they are (like the Lakenvelders).

And my DH doesn't help, everytime I show him a picture of a new chicken, he says "I think you should get some". I think our addiction feeds each other. I've always said I hope one of us doesn't say "Let's get a pet wolverine", the other would say, "Let's get two".

Deb
DH and I are both crazy about chickens. It's terrible when you are both enablers. Now we have white peachicks as well. Still trying to resist the white emus.

My first eggs! I don't know who's laying what, I have a Blue Copper Marans, an EE, and a Welsummer who are all squatting. My Asil doesn't squat so I don't think she's laying yet. Eggs are dirty since they were laid on the floor of the coop yuck.
CONGRATS! The first eggs are so exciting!
Anyone going to the Paso Robles show in October or the Reno show in November? I just made my hotel reservations for both shows. I shouldn't have waited so long to make reservations for the Paso show because I had a hard time finding a hotel. Anyway can't wait for show season!!!
I'll be at the Reno one for sure! Morning shift. We ran a table with BYC and chicken health stuff last year. Not sure what folks have planned for this year but we will do something for sure.
I have 3 chicks out that were due tomorrow. I do think I mismarked the one egg. I'll just have to wait and see, but that chick is black all over, so I'm thinking it's a MG bantam. Makayla and I are going to walk over to the auction. I'm going to try not to stay too long. I have no more space to put another little hoop coop without giving up people space out back. Hopefully I'll get the 2 big ones up this week. I really need to work on my house. I've spent so much time outside this place has become a cluttered mess. Oh to be young and have a back that doesn't kill me. I used to get so much done in a day and now I stretch out a days work over the course of a month.
Boy can I relate!
I don't know about PR, but definitely going to Reno.

Deb
Yea!!!!! We will probably be manning a booth for BYC and will also have chicken health info handouts. You and Sarah need to come by and say "Hi".
They changed things and the first post can no longer be edited, so we have this page now

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/california-thread-members-list-and-helpful-information

Take a look at it and see if you have any ideas for it.

Guys please let me know if you see mistakes. I'm not the brainiac I was years ago. LOL

Have 3 more chickies hatched out for the one due tomorrow, so 6 so far. I have 3 of Lavern's eggs in there just sitting. I want her chicks badly!
Good luck!!!
fl.gif

SoCal here! In the Antelope Valley! Add me to the list! :)
Welcome! I'm from Orange County originally but don't hold that against me. lol :D

They changed things and the first post can no longer be edited, so we have this page now

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/california-thread-members-list-and-helpful-information

Take a look at it and see if you have any ideas for it.

Guys please let me know if you see mistakes. I'm not the brainiac I was years ago. LOL

Have 3 more chickies hatched out for the one due tomorrow, so 6 so far. I have 3 of Lavern's eggs in there just sitting. I want her chicks badly!

Thanks, Kim - I'll subscribe to that one.

OHHHH

I almost forgot.

I'm not sure they're even going ot be fertile, but both of my Silver Phoenix hens are sitting on a nest. mendocinosunris's post remonded me. Anyway the first week there were NO eggs, so I figured they were going into moult. There are 8 eggs under them. I'm going to let them set for a while, but the one didn't do a very good job of keeping them alive after they hatched the last time. I'm going candle and once they have a good start, I'll grab them out and stick them in the incubator. Would be nice to get 2 good roos and a bunch of pullets! Yeah, I know, but I can dream. I just hope they're all fertile, so I'll have chicks from my boy.

good luck!! do you know when they're due to hatch?

Ok, you people POST these shows somewhere so we can see if we can get out! IS show season fall and winter? Do they show and sell chickens? I feel like such a newb!

Yes everyone please post show info so I can add to the other page.

Deb the list shows up for me. Breeders are listed towards the bottom above feestores and petshops. Am I missing your list of breeds??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom