CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

WOW that's a huge prize...

I was personally disappointed with the quality of the birds at the show. What did everyone else think?

It's getting better but I really hope it's larger and better next year. I plan to show all my breeds next year.

WOW that's a huge prize...

I was personally disappointed with the quality of the birds at the show. What did everyone else think?

It's getting better but I really hope it's larger and better next year. I plan to show all my breeds next year.

I'd never been to any poultry showing before, but somehow there was less variety than i'd expected, and for most breeds there was only one or two birds, making it hard to make any comparisons. plus to my novice eye, the birds often seemed so stressed out (lots of head twitching, rumpled feathers, etc), they can't possibly have looked their best?

i loved seeing all the cute bunnies, though!
laura

The quality and quantity of the birds at the show may not have been what you would see at other shows, but I appreciate that the people who organized the event decided to include this show, as part of the National Heirloom Expo.

I think this show is an opportunity for people who would not ever think of attending a poultry show to get a glimpse of what one is like, and they may consider going to see other APA shows. Thanks in a large part to Walt, this was a show where people could see the judging process up close and ask questions. The more informal setting was a fantastic place for the general public to learn so much about poultry as well as showing.

I never considered showing my chickens. I would not enter them in any other APA shows or even the Fair. Yet, last year, I entered a couple birds in the Expo show. I did it only because I have an uncommon heritage breed with an important and interesting history. I wanted people to know that they exist- to actually see them. This show seemed to be a good venue for that. I put a flyer with information about the breed on the cage. You can't do that at APA shows, but it is allowed at this show to enhance the learning experience.

This, my one and only experience with showing, was a good experiment for me. I knew absolutely nothing about how to show a bird. The people running the poultry show were fantastic, so friendly and helpful. That made it overall a positive endeavor and I would like to enter this show again, some day.

My birds were not "show quality" and I knew that. After the judging that year, I asked a lady there (a prominent poultry breeder) what the circled # 1's on my coop cards meant. She said it meant that I didn't place. She told me that my birds were way too small. She pointed out the Champion Orpington and said that my birds should fill the cage like that one. I felt so embarrassed after speaking to her and I wished that I hadn't entered the show. She suggested that I speak to the judge about my birds - a thought that horrified me. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to approach him, but I'm glad that I did. It started a learning process that is helping me improve the birds in my flock. Because of that, some day my birds will meet the Standard.

So, I have mixed feelings about those poor quality birds in this particular show. I wouldn't expect or want to see those in a show like the one at Stockton. But the Expo show is more about giving the general public the opportunity to see and learn about Heritage breeds. Many old breeds, like mine, have been neglected so long that there are none that meet the Standard. So, is it best to leave those breeds at home because they are poor quality? Or should they be displayed-at this show- so that people can see that they exist?
And maybe poultry people like me will enter this show and will learn what they need to do, the importance of breeding to the SOP.

If this was a weekend show we would be showing. It's too hard in the middle of the week.
sad.png
agreed there. would probably have a much better turn out as well.

I had thought about going and contacted the Expo for information. What was sent did not seem conducive to showing, so I decided to skip it.

The forms that were emailed to me were, "what kind of heritage fowl will you be displaying?", etc. It made it sound less like a show and more like just a display. Even though I heard that Walt would be judging, it wasn't portrayed as a typical show. Mid-week is less of an issue for me, DH & I are both retired.

Deb

The Heritage Expo is more like a trade show or conference. I am not sure why they have it in the middle of the week, but the conference I go to every year is in the middle of the week too and it has nothing to do with any particular reason I can think of. This has the potential of being a very good little show. Little shows are nice because the judge does not have to hurry and can interact with the participants. When I judge a large show, I can't talk to anyone until the judging is finished. Stockton will be the place to look at large quantities of birds, but it is a hectic show and there is less opportunity to talk to good breeders unless you know who they are and if they have time. People who have tried to talk to me at Stockton know how hard it is for me to help anyone out at that show. Sometimes I have lines of people waiting.....lol.

I would like to see this show become larger and the only way that can happen is if some of you show there. The Heritage Expo folks are OK with it being a larger show. Gere Gettle who owns Baker Seed (the folks that put this on) raises rare and heritage chickens, so he is very supportive of the poultry show. Last year he entered birds in it...more as a display. Best of Show pays $500 and Res $250 and that is better than Stockton or any other poultry show I know of, so I thought that would be an incentive to bring in more entries. This show is also a bit early to show birds, since many are still not over their molt. If they ever have a different judge for this show, I would enter a lot of birds....it's only five minutes from my house and that $500 would be an incentive. There were some gems in amongst the birds entered. There were some good Marans and I don't see good Marans often.

Bottom line is...enter some birds there Cheryl. You could make it a big show all by yourself.

Walt

The Heritage Expo is more like a trade show or conference. I am not sure why they have it in the middle of the week, but the conference I go to every year is in the middle of the week too and it has nothing to do with any particular reason I can think of. This has the potential of being a very good little show. Little shows are nice because the judge does not have to hurry and can interact with the participants. When I judge a large show, I can't talk to anyone until the judging is finished. Stockton will be the place to look at large quantities of birds, but it is a hectic show and there is less opportunity to talk to good breeders unless you know who they are and if they have time. People who have tried to talk to me at Stockton know how hard it is for me to help anyone out at that show. Sometimes I have lines of people waiting.....lol.

I would like to see this show become larger and the only way that can happen is if some of you show there. The Heritage Expo folks are OK with it being a larger show. Gere Gettle who owns Baker Seed (the folks that put this on) raises rare and heritage chickens, so he is very supportive of the poultry show. Last year he entered birds in it...more as a display. Best of Show pays $500 and Res $250 and that is better than Stockton or any other poultry show I know of, so I thought that would be an incentive to bring in more entries. This show is also a bit early to show birds, since many are still not over their molt. If they ever have a different judge for this show, I would enter a lot of birds....it's only five minutes from my house and that $500 would be an incentive. There were some gems in amongst the birds entered. There were some good Marans and I don't see good Marans often.

Bottom line is...enter some birds there Cheryl. You could make it a big show all by yourself.

Walt

I believe it's in the middle of the week because they are jewish and can't work on the sabbath. At least that's what someone told me.

I PROMISE I'll enter a ton of birds next year. My breeds could use the exposure but also I'd like people to become more interested in breeding them. I just couldn't do it this year...next year I'm assuming I'll be in less pain.

Back
Top Bottom