california white

They did get combs earlier then my Buff Leghorns. One I named Floppy because her comb had fallen over one eye by the time she was 16 weeks old.
If you have any pics that would be awesome! If I can get to my laptop tomorrow, I'll post some too:)

They did get combs earlier then my Buff Leghorns. One I named Floppy because her comb had fallen over one eye by the time she was 16 weeks old.
If you have any pics that would be awesome! If I can get to my laptop tomorrow, I'll post some too:)

This was Wednesday, I know you can't see her comb, but she is a fast little mover!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get to the computer to post pics. It's been a CrAsY week...
I think she was 16 weeks for this picture...

This one is also of Floppy at 19 weeks. They will all be 20 weeks old tomorrow, and i just got my first 2 eggs today!!

I ordered California White Leghorns fron Ideal mostly because i liked the spotted look of them in the pics. They did say on the site that they may exchange the Cali whites for Ideal326 stock. With Pretty much No spots, I'm not sure which line i got
hu.gif

My second chick did, absolutely end up being a rooster.
I was lucky enough to trade him with my neighbor for one of her hens. I am so blessed!
She loves him, and isn't planning on hatching any eggs from them, just likes the idea of a roo to look after the flock. His Mamma taught him well how to do that. I saw her go after a hawk who swooped down after them a few weeks back. Major protective Mamma.
Heck, she is still protecting the "babies" (at 8 weeks old) from the other hens! BAs are known for being bionic Moms, tho.

Floppy is definitely a hen. She started laying just after that 2nd picture was taken. At 20 weeks. She went broody almost 2 weeks ago, and I got her 5 Fertile eggs on Sunday. We'll see if any of them make it...
Oh wow!
I didn't know there was a potential for broodiness among the CWs! I guess anybody who has an Orpington background has a potential for broodiness.
How old was Floppy when she went broody? Was she a good layer before that? Did you have any other broodies at that point? (sorry for the third degree, but I am intensely curious as I am just starting out with this breed)

Oh wow!
I didn't know there was a potential for broodiness among the CWs! I guess anybody who has an Orpington background has a potential for broodiness.
How old was Floppy when she went broody? Was she a good layer before that? Did you have any other broodies at that point? (sorry for the third degree, but I am intensely curious as I am just starting out with this breed)

I really wasn't expecting it. Although she is a chickens, and it's a natural process, I thought broodiness had been breed out of most leghorns. I guess not though, nothing has broken her of it.
No problem. Questions is how we get answers:) She was shipped to me on May 2nd She laid her first egg the day before she turned 20 weeks. We were getting 6 eggs a week from her until she went broody. Yesterday she turned 25 weeks, so she went broody at 23 1/2 - 24 weeks. We don't have a Roo, so we had to find some fertile eggs for her from a neighbor. His hens only laid 5 eggs over the weekend, so she got them on Sunday Evening.
I don't have any other hens broody, but I did have a Mallard start sitting on a nest the same week floppy went broody. Since it took me a week to find some fertile eggs, they should hatch out within a day of each other!

I really wasn't expecting it. Although she is a chickens, and it's a natural process, I thought broodiness had been breed out of most leghorns. I guess not though, nothing has broken her of it.
No problem. Questions is how we get answers:) She was shipped to me on May 2nd She laid her first egg the day before she turned 20 weeks. We were getting 6 eggs a week from her until she went broody. Yesterday she turned 25 weeks, so she went broody at 23 1/2 - 24 weeks. We don't have a Roo, so we had to find some fertile eggs for her from a neighbor. His hens only laid 5 eggs over the weekend, so she got them on Sunday Evening.
I don't have any other hens broody, but I did have a Mallard start sitting on a nest the same week floppy went broody. Since it took me a week to find some fertile eggs, they should hatch out within a day of each other!
That is such an early broody! My AliceAnn was exactly that way. She was a dedicated broody til the day she died.
I wonder if the presence of the broody duck had anything to do with it. I have never had any others go broody because one did, but they tell me this can happen, and does.
How nice you were able to find hatching eggs for her. I absolutely love having a broody and chicks running about the place. Sure beats the heck out of a box brooder! Plus, someone else trains the chooks to do what we do here in the farmyard (ie, how to forage, how to stay safe from hawks, etc, where to lay eggs).
It seems so late in the year to be going broody, but since they make their own heat, I guess it doesn't matter much.
What breed of hatching eggs did you get?
Make sure to post pics when the fluffy butts arrive, and are ready for their first photo shoot!
Thanks a million for the answers!

Back
Top Bottom