Call drake having trouble breathing

Oct 13, 2023
My call drake buttercup has trouble breathing his nose holes get clogged up, one time it was so bad that one nose hole was completely covered over and the other nose hole had gunk it seems to be snot and mud, I take a toothpick (I am really careful) and get the gunk off so he can breathe better, his brother puddle is fine (btw they have the same parents)
They have water deep enough that they can dip their hole head in and I see buttercup blowing bubbles but he still gets a clogged up nose, I clean their water out every morning
He will be a year old next month on the 26th
Last month he lost his mate (him his brother and his mate were all the same age) so it Is just him, his brother, 4 khaki cambles, and 6 brahma chickens, he was very sad at first and still misses his mate but is coping better (so does his brother just less)
I do have a new problem him and his brother are in love with my hands and feet but now they know I pull away when they grab me with their beaks they just grab anything they can like my clothes they have even started jumping up at me to grab me
Also my brahmas are terrified of them and the khakis are scared when the boys get mad it is hilarious seeing huge birds running away from tiny birds
I am happy to answer questions and give more photos (can't do videos though don't have a YouTube account or anything)
Thank you for your help
Here are some pictures the duck with the most white on his chest is buttercup and the one with less is puddle
20240417_091228.jpg
20240417_091214.jpg
20240417_091212.jpg
20240417_091201.jpg
20240417_091143.jpg
20240417_091136.jpg
20240417_091133.jpg
20240417_091127.jpg
20240417_091123.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know much about ducks but your chickens are right to be afraid of your drakes as in their hormonal rage they will rape and kill them.
Chickens are not build to accommodate the drakes' corkscrewer penis and will get their innards ripped out.

So, high time to get them some females if their own kind!

With regard to the recurring clogged nose:
Maybe deworm him, give some poultry vitamins and keep declogging as you are doing.

I don't know much about ducks but your chickens are right to be afraid of your drakes as in their hormonal rage they will rape and kill them.
Chickens are not build to accommodate the drakes' corkscrewer penis and will get their innards ripped out.

So, high time to get them some females if their own kind!
I know that drakes can kill hens if they mate them but my call duck males are so short that they just walk through my brahmas legs and the hens are not that afraid it is the cockells that are scared of them
Also we are going to make a duck pen rather than having the ducks and chickens together (we have a runner and a silver appleyard ducklings that we think could mate the hens so don't want that to happen which is why we decided to make a duck pen just not done yet)
I have 4 call ducklings and 6 call eggs in the incubator so I am hoping that some will be girls, here in England call duck females are rarely being sold only in pairs and they are really expensive
With regard to the recurring clogged nose:
Maybe deworm him, give some poultry vitamins and keep declogging as you are doing.
OK I will try that but wouldn't his brother have worms too if he has worms????
Thanks

wouldn't his brother have worms too if he has worms????
Not necessarily as one moght have ingested a parasite infested snail or slug and the ones the other drake ate had no parasites.
we are going to make a duck pen rather than having the ducks and chickens together
That is great to read! Hopefully, it will be ready rather sooner than later.

You have plenty of deep water for your ducks but can your little Calls get into them? Maybe try adding some shorter buckets or heavy bowls so they can access water anytime they want especially when eating that is really important.
I put stones so they can get in and out and often see them in the water plus i have chicken waterers that I keep topped up too so they always have access

Besides his stuffed up nares any other symptoms? eating good poop normal? Eyes clear?
Eyes look good, don't know about the poo, I think he is I see him eating and when I pick him up he is not skinny (he lives in a large pen and I would have to bring him into confinement to tell 100 percent) and other than the nares he seems fine

Back
Top Bottom