Call Duck Drake Flew Away??

MrsChickyFarmer

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Long story short, I came home from a trip to the store to put my birds in and I checked on them to make sure they were all there as we had just recently added to our flock, 2 call duck hens and a drake. But he seems to have flown the coop. The bird houses are caged off with a height of around 7ft and is open at the top. They were all getting along pretty well and I am worried he might have flown out and was not able to get back in to his hens. Has anyone had this happen? Did your call duck come back? I am hoping he is around and will show up tomorrow

I have had them fly out and them hide for the night. Another member here I believe had one attacked and packed off but he returned a couple days later running down the road.

I would suggest getting some netting for the top of your pen for future incidents.

@RavynFallen

Thanks for the fast reply!! I am glad to hear that there's a possibility that he could be wattling around tomorrow! I really hope so! His girls are probably wondering where he's gone to. We will be netting the top to avoid this problem in the future I think as I'm not sure I want to trim their feathers

Thanks for making me feel a little better!

Yes, an owl got my Snowy drake one night, but he came waddling home as fast as he could at first light the next morning, luckily... he and his mate are extremely bonded though too... is your drake really bonded to the hens? If so, and he is able, then he should come back to them...

X2 on netting... unless you clip their wings they will fly when they get a chance or get startled... I free range mone frequently but their enclosure is netted (soon to be fully covered)...

Yes, an owl got my Snowy drake one night, but he came waddling home as fast as he could at first light the next morning, luckily... he and his mate are extremely bonded though too... is your drake really bonded to the hens? If so, and he is able, then he should come back to them...

X2 on netting... unless you clip their wings they will fly when they get a chance or get startled... I free range mone frequently but their enclosure is netted (soon to be fully covered)...

When we got them he came with his two girls, and he is protective over them. I thought that maybe he would stay near by since the girls didn't get out. I really hope he's around by morning. Husband and I were out with flashlights but didn't hear or see anything unfortunetly. They are quite tame and well handled so it was a shock to see him gone.

When we got them he came with his two girls, and he is protective over them. I thought that maybe he would stay near by since the girls didn't get out. I really hope he's around by morning. Husband and I were out with flashlights but didn't hear or see anything unfortunetly. They are quite tame and well handled so it was a shock to see him gone.

If it was dark, then you most likely wouldn't see or hear him if he's nearby... out in the open and in the dark they tend to hunker down and be silent to avoid predators... hope he shows up in the morning...

If it was dark, then you most likely wouldn't see or hear him if he's nearby... out in the open and in the dark they tend to hunker down and be silent to avoid predators... hope he shows up in the morning...

That's what I was thinking but I thought I might as well try looking for him just incase I seen him. I'll let you know if our little Thunder comes back to his girls *fingers crossed*

yes, fingers crossed he is hiding, waiting for daylight to get back home to you and his girls.
fl.gif
Will be happy to see you update that he is home tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom