Call Duck Drake Flew Away??

MrsChickyFarmer

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Long story short, I came home from a trip to the store to put my birds in and I checked on them to make sure they were all there as we had just recently added to our flock, 2 call duck hens and a drake. But he seems to have flown the coop. The bird houses are caged off with a height of around 7ft and is open at the top. They were all getting along pretty well and I am worried he might have flown out and was not able to get back in to his hens. Has anyone had this happen? Did your call duck come back? I am hoping he is around and will show up tomorrow

OMG! I am sooo happy right now! I glanced out the window and there he was!! Wattling around by the bird pen! :D he came back to his girls THUNDER IS HOME!! They're all happily quacking together now that he's back :)

I'm so happy to have him back :D
Thanks @Miss Lydia@minihorse927@RavynFallen
For all the support! :)

Last edited:
I haven't had the chance to get any pictures yet! Sorry! I've been kind of running around like a chicken with its head lopped off lol I hope this suffices! For now atleast!

That's Grady in the back right
My female blue fawn Lightning on the left and black bibbed female Little Lady beside her :)

Lightning and Little Lady are Thunders girls
And I hope to post a pic of Thunder soon!

Last edited:
You will be surprised at how long they can be gone and still return unscathed. I actually just had a Cockerel return the day before yesterday that had been missing for 4 days. I had been looking non-stop for him as he was free-ranging so I figured he had decided to sleep in the bushes instead of the Pen but never found him. Since he was all white with black spots I figured he had been eaten because he was a easily seen Target. The day before yesterday he suddenly appeared right before dark out of the woods and into the pen on his own. I don't know where he was but he came back clean and uninjured. The only thing I could see was he was dehydrated

Last edited:
:fl

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst... a couple months ago I would have sworn any Call that went out of our yard and didn't return within 5 mins was a write off... Dex proved me wrong for sure... and we know he was grabbed by a predator, luckily his injuries were superficial...

@MrsChickyFarmer
   You have a beautiful flock there. I am so happy Thunder came back and they are happy.

I clip my Scovy ducks wings every fall after molt. I hate to do it but I know it's the only way to keep them home and safe. 

Thank you :) I didn't want to clip my duckies either but I don't need them flying off and getting lost wandering too far or getting attacked and/or eaten

Thanks :) yes actually lol little lady as you recognized is at the front there and yes she is blue! My apologies lol all my call ducks are of blue undertone :) Except Grady! Our new additions are the second and third behind little lady. No names yet, still trying to figure those two out. I have to agree with you, pictures don't do birds justice! I hope to post more, I seem to forget my phone everytime I'm out there with the birdies. I do plan to share more. I can't wait til Spring :) I hope to have some little duckies to share pictures of! .....I'm going to have to talk to my husband about expanding lol

Last edited:
I have had them fly out and them hide for the night. Another member here I believe had one attacked and packed off but he returned a couple days later running down the road.

I would suggest getting some netting for the top of your pen for future incidents.

@RavynFallen

Thanks for the fast reply!! I am glad to hear that there's a possibility that he could be wattling around tomorrow! I really hope so! His girls are probably wondering where he's gone to. We will be netting the top to avoid this problem in the future I think as I'm not sure I want to trim their feathers

Thanks for making me feel a little better!

Back
Top Bottom