Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Thanks for the responses. I had moved the incubator downstairs to an unused bedroom where the temperatures would be more stable. I did not rotate the position of the eggs in the incubator or use the cool down cycle. I will definitely try those strategies next time. I can also try the heat syncs. I have an automatic turner, so I do not turn by hand. I believe that it rotates the eggs 3 times a day, but I would have to go find the directions to be sure. I have recently been giving them kale from my garden, but wasn't during the time frame that I collected the eggs. I am thinking that grower feed is the same as Broiler feed. Is that correct or not?

Grower feed is very similar to broiler feed. Calf Manna is a great supplement and is not too expensive. The bag has feeding instructions for chickens on it too.

I bet you will have a better hatch next time!

What is your incubator?

I haven't seen something labeled 'broiler feed' but I assume it is the same or similar as a couple brands of 'Meat Maker'. That is a 22% protein feed for growing chicks fast - basically for cornishX. I've been using that for the first couple weeks of chicks growth and then I drop to an 18% starter feed.
That may be a bit high for adult birds because any protein over what is necessary will be expelled in the waste and becomes ammonia in the bedding.
Adult birds don't need that much protein. I think 18% is plenty.
Automatic turner solves lots of problems.

Broiler Life Cycle blend

I just use a Farm Innovators Model 4200 circulated air incubator with the auto turner add, (I take it out on day 18.)

with the auto turner in there, I am thinking I would have to put the stones under the wire screen. I assume that placement would still help with heat distribution.

I'll probably put more eggs in around mid to late April so that the changes have some time to take effect. Or do you think I need to give it longer?

Broiler Life Cycle blend

I just use a Farm Innovators Model 4200 circulated air incubator with the auto turner add, (I take it out on day 18.)

with the auto turner in there, I am thinking I would have to put the stones under the wire screen. I assume that placement would still help with heat distribution.

I'll probably put more eggs in around mid to late April so that the changes have some time to take effect. Or do you think I need to give it longer?
That should be plenty of time for the changes to take effect.

What is your thermometer?

That should be plenty of time for the changes to take effect.

What is your thermometer?
It's nothing special. Just a regular mercury thermometer. I have checked the calibration with the ice water method. I have a Brinsea spot check but it won't stay on and when I have tried to check the calibration it won't read well then either. I just got it back out and relooked at the directions, I may buy a new battery for it, even though it came with 2 brand new batteries. I gave up on it last year or the year before that. Wasn't really happy with it from the time I got it, which was disappointing because I had heard great things about it.

It's nothing special. Just a regular mercury thermometer. I have checked the calibration with the ice water method. I have a Brinsea spot check but it won't stay on and when I have tried to check the calibration it won't read well then either. I just got it back out and relooked at the directions, I may buy a new battery for it, even though it came with 2 brand new batteries. I gave up on it last year or the year before that. Wasn't really happy with it from the time I got it, which was disappointing because I had heard great things about it.

The brinsea is very accurate but I have had problems with the battery too. I had to do the aluminum foil trick to get the contact to work on the battery.

I should have sent it back to them. Guy knows the name of other good thermometers.

If you do not want to get another thermometer, add half a degree to the temperature in the incubator next time. I think it will help a lot.

The brinsea is very accurate but I have had problems with the battery too. I had to do the aluminum foil trick to get the contact to work on the battery.

I should have sent it back to them. Guy knows the name of other good thermometers.

If you do not want to get another thermometer, add half a degree to the temperature in the incubator next time. I think it will help a lot.
Ok, thanks! ( I feel like I should have sent mine back to Brinsea also, but at first I thought it was user error and I just didn't know what I was doing).

The second chick didn't end up making it. It died after a few days (less than a week). It was also showing signs of cross beak. The first couple of days it seemed pretty vigorous, but after that it seemed to lose it's vigor. I'll try again near the end of April.

Back
Top Bottom