Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

I asked the breeder about his variety. They are penedesenca but he gets hens from his breeding that either have either gold points on their feathers or a more silverpoint on their feathers. The more silver tipped ones he refers to as the silver duck wing. The gold ones he refers to as the Partridge. I've seen the rooster and hens and though I'm not experienced personally they do compare with the photos represented through all the resources on the Internet. He's been breeding them for a long time and has the great grand father of his current breeding rooster. The eggs he showed me are the very dark brown maroon colored and the roosters comb was the appropriate coronation comb. I understand your concern about adding variations to the original four types. I will keep all of this in mind as I move forward.

Hi everyone. Since moving to my new house last summer I was able to build 2 breeder runs but lost most of my birds to our Dog. I fixed the pens and dog proofed thumbnut am down to a Quad of Black. I need to get my nice coops rebuilt still then will be on the hunt for White Empordanesa or maybe Crele.
On another sad note one of our members Joshua Pennington passed away a few months back. He was a good guy

Hi everyone. Since moving to my new house last summer I was able to build 2 breeder runs but lost most of my birds to our Dog. I fixed the pens and dog proofed thumbnut am down to a Quad of Black. I need to get my nice coops rebuilt still then will be on the hunt for White Empordanesa or maybe Crele.
On another sad note one of our members Joshua Pennington passed away a few months back. He was a good guy
It is great to see you back!

Are you living in the same area?

Bad news. When I went to close up my coop tonight, my Black Penedesenca rooster had not returned. He and his 4 ladies (only 1 of which is also a Black Penedesenca) were free ranging in the woods today. I let them free range whenever the weather is nice. He always comes back with the ladies. I looked all around in the woods and even up in the trees, but I did not see him or any evidence of him or what may have happened to him.
I do have 6 of the Black Penedesenca hen's eggs that he would have covered, so I am going to put them in the incubator tonight. I have been having horrible luck with hatching the last few times. I have followed Ronott1 and Chickencanoe's advice (except I hadn't wormed them yet) so maybe/hopefully :fl I will have better results this time.
Otherwise, I think I am done with Black Penedesenca's for a while. :oops: Seems like all I am doing is hastening their demise.

Hi. Found this thread when looking up info on Penedesencas, and thought it was current, until I got to posts from May, and that couldn't be. Then I noticed it says 2017! Anybody still around?

I got "Penedesenca" chicks from Tractor Supply! (If the bin was indeed labeled right. :oops:)

Before I bought them, I did a quick Google search to see if they matched the breed, and what color variety they might be. It's hard to say. There are very few Penedesenca chick photos out there. But seeing as this TSC has been getting a lot of rare breeds this year, it may be that they are working with a hatchery that truly does have the Penes.

So here are my chicks, and if someone can, please tell me what color you think they are. Thanks!
IMG_5605.JPG
IMG_5606.JPG
IMG_5607.JPG
IMG_5608.JPG
IMG_5609.JPG
IMG_5610.JPG
IMG_5611.JPG
IMG_5612.JPG

Hi. Found this thread when looking up info on Penedesencas, and thought it was current, until I got to posts from May, and that couldn't be. Then I noticed it says 2017! Anybody still around?

I got "Penedesenca" chicks from Tractor Supply! (If the bin was indeed labeled right. :oops:)

Before I bought them, I did a quick Google search to see if they matched the breed, and what color variety they might be. It's hard to say. There are very few Penedesenca chick photos out there. But seeing as this TSC has been getting a lot of rare breeds this year, it may be that they are working with a hatchery that truly does have the Penes.

So here are my chicks, and if someone can, please tell me what color you think they are. Thanks!View attachment 1349759View attachment 1349760View attachment 1349761View attachment 1349762View attachment 1349763View attachment 1349764View attachment 1349765View attachment 1349766
They look like partridge.

very Cute!

Last edited:
You're probably going to hate me. I have a rooster and 4 partridge hens left. We've had several take a walk in the woods and never come back. They are so skittish that we never let them out. The two Wyandotte hens we have dominate the the pene hens. My daughter who takes care of them is off to college next year so I am thinking of mellowing my stock by breeding my roo with sapphire gems or australorps. I suppose others have tried this but don't know results. Would like to get more eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom