Calling all roost & poop board designers! ;)

I think I can visualize that! A fairly simple set up to create, which I like 😁

My biggest 🧐 with it is the lack of actual poop boards (LOL I know, I just can't let it go!). We are fine with scooping boards daily and don't want to empty the entire coop floor weekly. We also may try sand next spring/summer and that would just be way too heavy to pull out if the floor were a tray. I think I'd also prefer open walking space without having to mess with lifting bars out of the way. (With a non-walk-in coop obviously that wouldn't be an issue!) I just want most poop cleaned up more frequently (we both work at home and have ample time for daily chores!). I also want the ability to easily inspect poop on the boards for any health issues (as a newbie, I will probably be hyper-vigilant about that for a while!).

I love the idea of maximizing roost bar space to accommodate more chickens if we wanted AND the ease of the tray with the right setup! I also love the idea of a second entrance/exit for the birds and a separate run. We are actually getting ready to build a second run (connected to the original with a closable door), so another exit to it could definitely be in the works!

I am very grateful for all these innovative ideas and what works for people and their chooks...because ultimately we will either end up building onto this coop in a year or two or building a new one in the next few years!! 😆 (Because CHICKEN MATH...🤪) I am most certainly keeping notes of all these designs. THANK YOU!! 😍

Chicken math is REAL! :)

So that would give you 13' of roost space if they are crossed and overlapped in the corner.
I am not sure where the best place for the ramp will be, but the good thing is that it won't be permanently fixed so we can move it around, or have more than one!
Limiting it to one ramp as shown in my coop (green line) leaves more space. Running parallel to the longer roost leaves room for landing with out the ramp being in the way.
About 1/2 my flock takes the ramp up to the roosts and back down. They often jump up to the midpoint of it and walk the rest of the way. It is made from a 2x8 board with 1x2 cleats placed about 6" apart.

So that would give you 13' of roost space if they are crossed and overlapped in the corner.

Limiting it to one ramp as shown in my coop (green line) leaves more space. Running parallel to the longer roost leaves room for landing with out the ramp being in the way.
About 1/2 my flock takes the ramp up to the roosts and back down. They often jump up to the midpoint of it and walk the rest of the way. It is made from a 2x8 board with 1x2 cleats placed about 6" apart.

Ah yes, I see your logic now. Totally in a place where no one should need to land 😁 Thanks for your ramp "recipe"...I was curious if there was a standard people generally used.

Another thing I was going to ask everyone, and since you mentioned keeping the roosts at the height of the bottom of the windows--is having the roost in front of a window at all a bad thing? Those windows on the left are not completely sealed, and on particularly windy days would probably have a teensy bit of air flow through them.

Seems to me in the winter especially that could be a bad thing with cold air right on them, but for ventilation in general would be a good thing? I was wondering if we should probably seal those up for the winter, at least maybe the bottom halves?

Ah yes, I see your logic now. Totally in a place where no one should need to land 😁 Thanks for your ramp "recipe"...I was curious if there was a standard people generally used.

Another thing I was going to ask everyone, and since you mentioned keeping the roosts at the height of the bottom of the windows--is having the roost in front of a window at all a bad thing? Those windows on the left are not completely sealed, and on particularly windy days would probably have a teensy bit of air flow through them.

Seems to me in the winter especially that could be a bad thing with cold air right on them, but for ventilation in general would be a good thing? I was wondering if we should probably seal those up for the winter, at least maybe the bottom halves?
As you can see in the picture of my coop I have windows all around the roosts. They also leak a little but not enough to even come close to opening feathers. It's just more ventilation.

I tacked up some cardboard over the bottoms of the windows to block most the draft.
You can see part of it on the right.
full

The roost i made was enjinerered so the tree limb poles could be individually lifted from their shop made wood brackets and removed from the chicken house for easy cleaning below . Roost spacing was close enough so the butter ball fatties could hop from below and go to the top roost to claim pecking order . Four roost poles 8 ft. long 2" to 3" dia. spaced about 16 inches above each other and approx. 30° angle .

A chicken is smart :) ; up high is the warmest place in cold weather and that's where the rooster is . Never heard of a ramp . When chickens went to roost in the wild they didn't have a ramp , BUT they were lighter i suspect , although our fat hens , Rhode Island Reds ,didn't have any trouble getting to the top .

If i have enough years renaming to design another it will have a trench latrine below each row of roost tree limbs and fastened to those limbs about 6 lower so it would be nearly impossible for a miss . The trench will be 6" guttering with a low end protruding through an exterior wall . To clean , wash out with garden hose unless its below freezing .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom