calling all wild bird feeders!!

Pics
I have been wearing my long johns for the last 9 days. I was at my cabin in far northern Minnesota. I saw something I have read about but never seen.

Our cabin is on a small remote lake, about 450 acres. Normally we only have one pair of loons on the lake. Last week we had 10 loons on our lake, all juveniles!

I know the parents go south before the kids and the kids stay there for 2 years, but I have never seen the kids forming a travelling flock before.

We also had 5 eagles circling the lake trying to reduce the number of kids.

We had a huge flock of bluebills on the lake maybe 300 birds. when the eagles circled every bird dove! It was a great 10 days!

I have been wearing my long johns for the last 9 days. I was at my cabin in far northern Minnesota. I saw something I have read about but never seen.

Our cabin is on a small remote lake, about 450 acres. Normally we only have one pair of loons on the lake. Last week we had 10 loons on our lake, all juveniles!

I know the parents go south before the kids and the kids stay there for 2 years, but I have never seen the kids forming a travelling flock before.

We also had 5 eagles circling the lake trying to reduce the number of kids.

We had a huge flock of bluebills on the lake maybe 300 birds. when the eagles circled every bird dove! It was a great 10 days!

All those loons and the eagles...must have been a pretty darned good trip!

I have been wearing my long johns for the last 9 days. I was at my cabin in far northern Minnesota.

Same pair for 9 days?
sickbyc.gif

lau.gif

Same pair for 9 days? :sick :lau
Yep, same pair for 9 days! It's the cabin and I have no running water so not baths, no showers and I sure as, well you know, am not going into the lake this time of the year.
Removal of the union suit under such conditions would, indeed, be quite loony. Down here, in Cent.MO. (where it's still warm enough to take the weekly shower - needed or not), the pickings are slim. Some young, male, Red Headed Woodpeckers are hanging around (vocalizations like a miniature Pileated). Feeders are staying full :( . The Barred Owls are being their cachinnating selves. Did catch a Goldfinch eating seeds from an Echinacea, down by the pond where there is some "green" remaining; but haven't seen any for over a week. Would be nice to listen to the Loons, again (haven't been fishing up in Northern WI for years - and NOT ice fishing).

Last edited:
@ivan3 I used to love seeing the Goldfinch when I lived in KS...thanks for the nice photo!

Back
Top Bottom