calling all wild bird feeders!!

Pics
I embrace shrinkage. The Dr says my knee would do better without all that extra weight I force it to carry......

lau.gif
One of your best by far. I applaud you!
clap.gif

Hey. it is true. My Doc is always telling me I need to lose weight!

Of course, he refuses to give me the good drugs that make people lose weight so I need to find other methods...

My wild birds cleaned me out of food!

I hate when that happens, I had been busy and not paying attention. The only thing I had left was thistle seed and that was because the gold flinches have stopped eating here for a while.

They are happy today I reloaded the feeders. I use peanuts in the winter more than summer, BUT I have a blue Jay that is taking them all. I have watched him take 8-10 at a time then leave, I think he is reselling them

The only birds I am getting is the Jay a few nut hatches and woodpeckers. It will be like this until the snow flies, a boring time at the old feeder..

This morning DH and I were enjoying our 1st cups of coffee on the screened in porch around 4am. It was pitch dark outside and dead quiet when all of a sudden there was a loud shriek followed by who who who. Made us both jump. We see owls here frequently but I swear that one had to be about 5' from us in the tree right outside the porch.

What a way to wake up, lol.
ep.gif

I had an owl scare me last night.

I have a BA rooster I have introduced to my hens. He does not like the girls. I had him closed in with them for 2 weeks.

I let them out 2 days ago. The first night he went and roosted on the edge of the bachelor pad. I picked him up and carried him back to the coop. Last night I went to see if he was on the edge of the bachelor pad. He was not!

He was sitting on the center pole of the pad, that holds the bird netting up. It is about 15 feet from any edge. I tried to talk him down. He refused. I tried bothering him enough to go down, He refused, it was just too dark for him to move. I was on a step ladder right under his pooper. Not a good place to be. I was going to tell him good luck, and see if he would make it through the night.

The pen is located in an opening between two bunches of oak trees. I have lost birds to Owls there before. I just told him good luck when I heard an owl. I decided to do something I have never done before.

First I thought about cutting the netting and pulling him through. Then I decided a 20 dollar rooster is not worth a $150 net. So I grabbed him through the netting and threw him towards to edge. There is no a lot of oompff behind these throws. It took 4 throws to get him to the edge. BUT he lived even if he was not happy. He is the only BA rooster I have left so I was deathly afraid of the owl sound!

Back
Top Bottom