Calling Experienced hatchers in Hawaii

CuriousChicken

Songster
13 Years
Apr 26, 2010
This is my first hatch they were a surprise, I'm on day 7. I just candled them and they look to be developing well, the air cells are decently sized but not too big. But I'm concerned about the humidity, I have a cheap little incubator that only has temp control. I ordered a hygrometer but it wont be here until its almost lock down time. I'm out in Puna and its regularly 60-70% humidity, I know hatching is anywhere from 60-75% but I'm still worried about them drowning. They are local eggs so as long as I keep an eye on the air cells they'll be okay right? If I find that they air cells aren't growing fast enough are their any tips, other than don't add more water which is a given, that you can give me to lower my humidity?

This is my first hatch they were a surprise, I'm on day 7. I just candled them and they look to be developing well, the air cells are decently sized but not too big. But I'm concerned about the humidity, I have a cheap little incubator that only has temp control. I ordered a hygrometer but it wont be here until its almost lock down time. I'm out in Puna and its regularly 60-70% humidity, I know hatching is anywhere from 60-75% but I'm still worried about them drowning. They are local eggs so as long as I keep an eye on the air cells they'll be okay right? If I find that they air cells aren't growing fast enough are their any tips, other than don't add more water which is a given, that you can give me to lower my humidity?
I'm not in Hawaii, but I can help- I think. I am assuming that you are running dry? I run dry when possible (if my humidity stays above 25%, which in spring summer is usually no problem). If you are not running dry and you need to increase the air cell size- run dry. If you are running dry and still need to reduce humidity you can try adding uncooked rice in a container to the bator to try to draw out and absirb some of the moisture. You can also try unpopped popcorn. I've heard people say these work and others say didn't help at all. (Of course.) But it never hurts to try. The best thing is you are keeping an eye on the air cells, so you are definitely on the right track!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the advice Amy, I've already read a bunch of articles on dry incubating and at the moment I've keeping a tablespoon of water in the reservoir. It just started raining which shoots the humidity through the roof out here. I'm going to candle them again tomorrow and see what the air cells look like, if there hasn't been any growth in that department I'm going to leave it dry for a day or two and check them again.

The problem is I'm not sure if I'm a "meddler" or a "hands off" hatcher yet, the humidity being a little high might work in my favor if I decide to start moving chicks around. But I think I'm going to go hands off this time around, I've done an assisted hatch it's not fun but at the time I also had zero clue about chickens.

Thanks for the advice Amy, I've already read a bunch of articles on dry incubating and at the moment I've keeping a tablespoon of water in the reservoir. It just started raining which shoots the humidity through the roof out here. I'm going to candle them again tomorrow and see what the air cells look like, if there hasn't been any growth in that department I'm going to leave it dry for a day or two and check them again.

The problem is I'm not sure if I'm a "meddler" or a "hands off" hatcher yet, the humidity being a little high might work in my favor if I decide to start moving chicks around. But I think I'm going to go hands off this time around, I've done an assisted hatch it's not fun but at the time I also had zero clue about chickens.
I'm a meddler. No questions about that...lol I move chicks to the brooder, take out shells, roll over the pippers that have been knocked around and if I feel it's needed, I assist. I run about 30% for the first 17 days, and because I am a meddler, I go up to 75% for hatch. Works very well for me.

Sounds like you have it under control. Good luck!!!

Do you have a dehumidifier in your house at all? If you do you can also try to move the bator to the same room as the dehumidifier.

If it turns out that your air cells are too small at lock down I have hear people hatching their eggs vertically in egg cartons. I have never had to or tried to do this myself, but it may be something to consider if you get to that point.

I do not have a dehumidifier, I probably should though. Hatching in an egg carton is an option I will look in to, make sure there isn't anything special I have to do. I'm checking them tomorrow after work, if the air cells haven't increased I'll run dry for a couple days and check them again. Hopefully it wont be an issue.

Do you have a dehumidifier in your house at all? If you do you can also try to move the bator to the same room as the dehumidifier.

If it turns out that your air cells are too small at lock down I have hear people hatching their eggs vertically in egg cartons. I have never had to or tried to do this myself, but it may be something to consider if you get to that point.
I know a couple people that have hatched out in cartons because their air cells were a bit on the small side and they had really good rates, so it's definitely worth trying if you need too.

Only two eggs showed any kind of air cell growth, so I drained the incubator and am going to check them in 2 days. The most of embryos appear to be developing one or two seem to have stalled. Crossing my fingers.

SUCCESS! There has been substantial air cell growth over the last 2 days! I'm going to give it another couple of days, my hygrometer will be here Monday then I can get an actual read on the humidity!

3 of the 10 seem to have stalled, the rest have had good embryo growth since I last looked. And one got ****** that I picked it up, started wiggling around like mad. So with proof of life I put it back lol.

Back
Top Bottom