Cameo Pied or Peach Pied???

Is it fair to say that the visual difference between a Cameo and Peach is the rusty tinge of color? Or are there any other factors to consider like head or neck color, skin or leg color? Do they both have that dappling effect on their backs? Anything?

The neck colour is also taken into effect. One of these days I'll try and get a pic of three males together - a peach, a cameo split peach and a cameo. The cameo split peach is almost a halfway mark between the others. A dark neck similar to a cameo, and a lighter body like the peach, but not as light as the peach.

The neck colour is also taken into effect. One of these days I'll try and get a pic of three males together - a peach, a cameo split peach and a cameo. The cameo split peach is almost a halfway mark between the others. A dark neck similar to a cameo, and a lighter body like the peach, but not as light as the peach.

Oh, so a Peach has a LIGHTER body color. I was under the impression that the reddish color made it darker.

I wish there was a Standard of Perfection for peas like there is for chickens.
rant.gif
It is nice that people post pictures of the different types but they seem to vary a lot.

Oh, so a Peach has a LIGHTER body color. I was under the impression that the reddish color made it darker.

I wish there was a Standard of Perfection for peas like there is for chickens.
rant.gif
It is nice that people post pictures of the different types but they seem to vary a lot.

Keep in mind that we are discussing Cameo and Peach here. Cameo, Purple and Peach are all colors that start out darker when the new feathers grow in and then fade and become lighter or "washed out" looking as they age. A Purple Peacock looks totally different in March/April than he does in July/August, same goes for the Cameos and Peaches as well as the hens of all 3 colors. I think this is why we see such variation in photos, it all depends on the time of year those photos were taken. And it makes it almost impossible to tell one from the other in pics!

Keep in mind that we are discussing Cameo and Peach here. Cameo, Purple and Peach are all colors that start out darker when the new feathers grow in and then fade and become lighter or "washed out" looking as they age. A Purple Peacock looks totally different in March/April than he does in July/August, same goes for the Cameos and Peaches as well as the hens of all 3 colors. I think this is why we see such variation in photos, it all depends on the time of year those photos were taken. And it makes it almost impossible to tell one from the other in pics!o

Sigh. And then there's the whole complication of lighting and what the camera (now probably digital) may be doing with the colors... We saw that in some photos the other day of that cocoa-colored hen chick that is apparently cameo, but appeared colored differently in different photos.

I have suddenly been immersed in a bunch of sewing projects and have been snapping photos at the fabric store, trying to be able to remember which fabric was at which store and would go with what other fabric. It has totally astonished me that the cell phone camera (a pretty high quality one) suddenly completely changes the colors, depending on which way the light is coming from the overhead fluorescents and the assortment of fabrics and/or people in the photo. As in, you would not even imagine that two photos of the same bolt of fabric are even related, because there are HUGE color shifts
he.gif
I'll be standing there in the aisle, scrolling through the pictures I just took, and sometimes it isn't even remotely an accurate representation.

I don't remember getting shifts this enormous back when it was film...
old.gif
Although there were certain times of day, when the natural lighting changed, like the yellow light in the evening, which sometimes surprised me when the roll would be developed. But this seems to be an effect created by the camera software, trying to compensate, for example, when there is less light, or somehow trying to figure out what the colors should be? I don't know, but it's pretty weird
hmm.png

So using my cell phone (heaven only knows what happened to the digital camera...), I'm pretty sure I could take a picture of the same bird from two different angles, five minutes apart, and get as much color difference in the photos from KsKingBee... I think that happened the other day, with the photos of my BS hen, not sure if it's apparent in the ones that got posted, but I remember clearly when I was scrolling through the ones I took, that in some photos she looked much darker than in others
roll.png

Last edited:
Keep in mind that we are discussing Cameo and Peach here. Cameo, Purple and Peach are all colors that start out darker when the new feathers grow in and then fade and become lighter or "washed out" looking as they age. A Purple Peacock looks totally different in March/April than he does in July/August, same goes for the Cameos and Peaches as well as the hens of all 3 colors. I think this is why we see such variation in photos, it all depends on the time of year those photos were taken. And it makes it almost impossible to tell one from the other in pics!

I have two Cameo chicks that I can't tell apart form Purple Sweepea and I am standing right there! I have pretty much finished my new brooder/grow out coop today and moved ten of my 'colored' chicks into it so I may get some good pics tomorrow.
There is a lot of frustration on my part trying to figure out these colors. You were instrumental in helping me figure out Black Shoulder and Cameo BS, but these Cameos I have have me stumped, especially the older hens

It is said on this forum that Peach is not a solo mutant. but is a cross over of purple and cameo. on the same chromosome. A chick deriving a Cameo gene from father and a peach gene fro mother, the chick genetically is a cameo split peach ( one cross over gene consisting of a purple and cameo from the mother and one cameo gene from father.). External appearance is a Cameo.

Back
Top Bottom