Campine Chicken thread?

Pics

Campine Lover

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Moss Beach, CA
Hi,
I'm new and this is my first day here. I have a delightful Golden Campine pullet, she is so sweet. Anybody else here love these special birds? Are there any breeders on here? Try as I might I cannot find any Campine breeders. Other than (shudders) a hatchery, which is where I got my Campine from, unfortunatlly. She is actually good quality, and got 2nd out of 20 for Continental class once. These birds are critically endangered, so anyone with extra room in the coop should try these guys out. They are great layers, good free rangers, friendly, good showers, and they are PRETTY! Campine's come in Silver and Gold.Please get a Campine!

Mama to-
2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 2 Silkies, 2 Modern Game Banties, 1 Black Sumatra, 1 Golden Campine, 1 Bearded Buff Laced Polish, and 1 Birchen OEG banty, 1 horse (soon to be 2) 3 cats, 1 dog, and several fish.

I've been snowed in for weeks. Started needle felting my girls to pass the time. Here's Soly! Tiny Soly. I just had to share.

G'day again from Australia,

Below is a link to the paper that I recently presented as part of a Power Point presentation on Campines.
It is Australian based but I trust you may enjoy it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../Campine Presentation Notes FCAQ.TextMark.pdf

I hope the link works for you.

Kind regards,

Ross
G'day,

This is the post #295 in the Campine Section where I added the link to my paper called "The Charm of the Campine". In there I mainly cover my involvement, the Australian Standards (which is basically similar to the British Standards and very similar to the American Standards) some feather identifiers to check male hen feathering against normal males feathers, and many other minor aspects.

I just tested the link and it works fine but as it is an 8 x A4 page paper it is 6.59mb, so be patient while it downloads.

It has been suggested to me that I also seek to join the CSU forum, but then I read that someone in there reckons he can teach anyone to judge Campines in an hour. I've kept them for well over 50 years, on and off, and have judged them all over Australia, plus the USA and have seeked them out in Belgium and the UK and I'm still learning how to judge them.
A few years ago we had a group of American poultry enthusiastic visit breeders and shows here in Australia and several visited our farm to look at the Campines (and other breeds). They all wanted to take back fertile eggs to the USA, but of course that is illegal.

Down here in Australia I've also participated in "Breed The Breeds" as a speaker where we discuss the Campine (and other breeds) in a seminar situation using Power-Point presentations. That paper that you can download is the one we handed out earlier this year. One of the others speakers and I are booked for a weekend in August 2014 to do a Seminar presentation and then judge the next day at a very big show in the ACT.

Good luck with it and kind regards,

Ross

Last edited:
Just found this in a second hand book store with some drawings of the old Belgian type Campine, normal and henfeathered.

@foxprairie - Your little girl looks very sweet, but she is not show quality. I am sure she is a wonderful pet and that is even more important to many people. I will say that she seems to have really dark eyes, which is good. There are breeders that would like to have eyes that dark in their birds. You didn't say where she came from, but I would guess either a commercial hatchery or a breeder that sells off the ones that won't be shown. She is likely perky, quirky, and chatty. I bet she is curious and busy but doesn't care to beheld. What a joy they are to own. If you ever decide to breed them or to have some to show, let us know and we will help you locate some really good quality Campines. In the meantime, enjoy your girl, she is very similar to the first ones I had. They came from Ideal Hatchery and they were the reason I raise them now.

If it were me, I would take the cock and see what happens. If you see that the breeding reverts back to the males side, you can always separate the hens and try with another cock. I would be interested to see if the male offspring are hen feathered. I would also be particularly harsh in culling to maintain Campine characteristics. Lastly, I would keep this strain or line separate from other lines you may acquire, for genetic diversity. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom