Camping

LOVE CAMPING!!!! Actually, hubby and I are heading to the Smoky Mtns wednesday to camp for a few days..We are tent campers..We camp in the Smokies several times a year..we also have a nice camping area here on our farm by the river..can't wait to throw up my tent and kick back for a few days..

I grew up camping; it just wasn't called that. My dad was a trapper in Kentucky. We lived so far back in the woods that God didn't know where we were. We had no running water or electricity in the hillside house on stilts. Those were some of the happiest times of my life.

The only time that I enjoyed camping as an adult was when the kids were little. We went to Rocky Mountain National Park and Yellowstone. We'd had reservations at the inns, but we stopped to see some friends in Kansas who insisted on our taking their camping gear just in case. We decided to go for it. We got some groceries and went to Goodwill and bought some used clothes. We spent two weeks in the tent and spent less than we would have paid for one nights lodging in the inns and eating in restaurants. Had a great time and came home with most of the money that we left with.

Hated camping in state parks' crowded facilities when we tried it. Grab a tree and hold on to it. Noisy people all around all night. Would rather have been in my back yard.

Last edited:
We love to go camping! We camp in a tent, the good 'ole fashioned way and cook in the dutch oven and over the fire the whole time. We never go for just one night, it's always 2 or 3 and have to do a few hikes every time. Honestly, we'd rather go camping then do anything else vacation wise.
smile.png

love to camp. just got back from tenting during Bikeweek in Ocean city MD. We camp at Indian River Inlet and rarely venture far into OC during busy seasons - like bike week. Stay on the fringes. We did trailer the bike and ride around bethany and fenwick tho...

Quote:
Where do you stay? I looked at places near Cades Cove, Smokemount, etc. No bath houses, though.

Have you stayed at Oak Mountain State Park before?

I have never stayed in Oak Mtn but hear it is awesome. I have stayed in an RV in Pigeon Forge a long time ago. We have gone to Damascus Va. and ridden the Creeper Trail and stayed in primitive camping next to this beautiful creek. It is a great rustic place to stay.

Nancy, the park was really nice. We went up for the day about two months ago. Golf, horseback riding, fishing, bike trails, hiking, swimming... You name it! We didn't make it back to the tent camping area, though. I wanted to scope it out.

I would love to camp in Tennessee. I am afraid of bears, though.

I've just started camping. I grew up (and still live) in the woods. My parents always said there was no reason to sleep in a tent when we could look out the door and see deer and turkeys. LOL

Nancy, those EEs turned out to be roosters. I sold them at the Brewton sale a couple of weeks ago. Two pullets and four roosters. LOL

Back
Top Bottom