Can’t tell what type of mite this is or is it lice? I have pictures

Yes I’m treating the girls too. Tonight I just put ivermectin on all the chickens. I just did a drop on base of neck and a drop under wing for 13 chickens. A couple of them wouldn’t let me put any under wing so I just put an extra drop at base of neck. I also put Vaseline on their feet. They don’t have scaly mites but I figured maybe that will help so the mite won’t crawl on their feet.
The Ivermectin is worth a shot.
Do repeat in 10 days. You may want to get a weight on your girls to ensure you are giving the correct dose of Ivermectin Pour On. It's 0.09ml per pound of weight, so hopefully a drop would do it?

The Ivermectin should be applied along the base of the neck at the spine making contact with the skin too, so make sure to part the feathers.

Hopefully you can give them some relief. Vaseline on the feet and legs won't hurt one bit.

The Ivermectin is worth a shot.
Do repeat in 10 days. You may want to get a weight on your girls to ensure you are giving the correct dose of Ivermectin Pour On. It's 0.09ml per pound of weight, so hopefully a drop would do it?

The Ivermectin should be applied along the base of the neck at the spine making contact with the skin too, so make sure to part the feathers.

Hopefully you can give them some relief. Vaseline on the feet and legs won't hurt one bit.
Ok will do, I’ll get their weight and in 10 days retreat them. Thank you for your help. I am starting to think these red mites are zombies. I can’t wait for them to be gone.

That looks like a red mite infestation to me. Red mite live in the coop and not on the bird. Put all your efforts into getting the coop clean. Don't worry as much about the birds although treating them as well is a good idea.

While Ivermectin does still work and will kill mites it has two major drawbacks and one is in order for it to work the mite has to bite the chicken and suck some blood. The other is it works out very expensive. With a serious infestation you don't want the mites to bite at all. Ideally you want to kill the mites before they bite!
Add to this that with a serious infestation the mites hatch in the coop faster than they feed so you never get rid of them.
Permethrin does work. But, it's a contact killer. The chemical has to come into contact with the mite. To kill all the mites, every mite in the coop has to come into contact with some permethrin.
What permethrin doesn't do is kill the eggs so you need to treat the coop over and over again.
If you have a large coop with lots of construction joints and open end grain making sure the permetrin gets every where is difficult. From what I can see in the pictures you've got lots of places where mites can hide.
The nuclear option is to move all the chickens to a new coop and burn the old one.
The next option is to use a blowtorch. This is the most effective method provided the coop is suitable. The coop in the picture below is suitable for blowtorch cleaning because it has few joints and endgrain and the risk of setting the coop on fire is low.

1663923564334.png

In your case I would move all the birds out of the coop and spray with permethrin, lots of permethrin! You need to get the permethrin everywhere.
You need to repeat this spraying every few days until you can no longer see any signs of mite activity. I'm doing a small coop currently. I'm on the fourth treatment now and I had to dismantle some of the coop to ensure the spray made contact with the mites in the joints and move the birds out while I deal with the problem.

That looks like a red mite infestation to me. Red mite live in the coop and not on the bird. Put all your efforts into getting the coop clean. Don't worry as much about the birds although treating them as well is a good idea.

While Ivermectin does still work and will kill mites it has two major drawbacks and one is in order for it to work the mite has to bite the chicken and suck some blood. The other is it works out very expensive. With a serious infestation you don't want the mites to bite at all. Ideally you want to kill the mites before they bite!
Add to this that with a serious infestation the mites hatch in the coop faster than they feed so you never get rid of them.
Permethrin does work. But, it's a contact killer. The chemical has to come into contact with the mite. To kill all the mites, every mite in the coop has to come into contact with some permethrin.
What permethrin doesn't do is kill the eggs so you need to treat the coop over and over again.
If you have a large coop with lots of construction joints and open end grain making sure the permetrin gets every where is difficult. From what I can see in the pictures you've got lots of places where mites can hide.
The nuclear option is to move all the chickens to a new coop and burn the old one.
The next option is to use a blowtorch. This is the most effective method provided the coop is suitable. The coop in the picture below is suitable for blowtorch cleaning because it has few joints and endgrain and the risk of setting the coop on fire is low.

View attachment 3268906
In your case I would move all the birds out of the coop and spray with permethrin, lots of permethrin! You need to get the permethrin everywhere.
You need to repeat this spraying every few days until you can no longer see any signs of mite activity. I'm doing a small coop currently. I'm on the fourth treatment now and I had to dismantle some of the coop to ensure the spray made contact with the mites in the joints and move the birds out while I deal with the problem.
Yes you are so right, the coop I have is all wood minus the roof. There are little joints and knots all over. This is just the roosting area. The other part of the coop has chicken wire and a few pieces of wood. I have sprayed every part I can think of, but im missing somewhere. Do the mites go in the dirt? The flooring is a combination with dirt and slats I got on hatchingtime.com but the main roosting area is all wood flooring. I’m planing on building a new coop. I don’t want to use wood cause of these mites, I don’t want to bring them to the new coop. I’m looking into to getting something temporary. I just feel defeated but I’m still trying to get rid of the mites. I’m going to get them out if I have to burn the coop down hahaha… Saturday I’m going to do try the blow torch method. My poor chicken don’t even want to go in at night.

Thank you for your response, it helps a lot!

I’m in utah, usa. Great idea, I’ll put on location. I will check out your links. I think the ivermectin is working cause this morning I didn’t notice any on the chickens. But they were crawling up the coop walls and very little on the roosting bars. I put Vaseline on their feet again tonight.

Last edited:
I just got this today, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HX0FXYI?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I ordered from uk cause we can’t get it here in us. I was looking for Exzolt, but couldn’t find it. I stumbled across this red stop solution. I’m leery about using it since I have given them ivermectin. Might have to wait a few days before trying it. Have you heard of it and does it work?

Back
Top Bottom