Can a bantam Rooster breed with a heavy breed and vice versa?

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
Excuse my ignorance but we always had hens.
big_smile.png
We have a couple of bantams and are unsure of their sex. Was wondering if one of them is a rooster can he mate successfully with a heavy breed?(australop or Buff orph) and what would the outcome be a bantam? I plan on getting a Standard breed rooster eventually but was just curious.

thanks
Chris

I'm not sure. But i think it can happen, it would be hard for him if you know what i meen.
smile.png

Good luck.
And, i think you should stick with the (Get another heavy roo breed idea)
Just a suggestion.

I've seen it happen... the roosters just grab hold and stay on until the hen falls over. It's kind of like watching bareback hen riding
lau.gif
I'm sure the heavier roosters can catch the banatam hens too I don't know how squished she would get though. I know the egg size is determined by the hen but I don't know how big the offspring would grow... it's a good question.

I can testify that they can get the job done! I have had Japanese Bantams roosters mate with Barred Rock hens and
the babies are gorgeous ! They are usually a medium sized chicken. Bantams are especially fertile little creatures !!
lol.png
lol.png

When I had my banty roo, he successfully mated with my standard hens, and even though he is no longer with us, he has two babies that are about four weeks old now.

eta, I now have aRIR roo, who has successfullymated with my standards and bantams, one of whom is sitting on 6 eggs, due to hatch soon.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is funny!! Do you have any pictures of the outcome.. the babies? I'd love to see them, as both Dad and Mommies are some of my favorite breeds (if only I had more space!)

Thanks!

Anyone know about a silkie bantam rooster and a standard hen?
We just found out our silkie is infact a male.
I have a mix of hens- Barred Rock, Americauna, Wyandottes, and RIR.
Also, how can you tell if an egg is fertilized?
I'm wondering if the chicks would have feathers like the silkie or like the mom?

Yes, Silkies can certainly mate with standard girls! If you look thru my photo album, one of the first pics is a rooster I used to have. He was a mix of Buff Orpington and Buff Silkie. He was a great guy. I *believe* Silkied feathers are recessive, which means the offspring would need to copies of the gene to be Silkied. You wouldn't get that crossing to a regular feathered bird- unless that bird has a hidden gene. To tell if an egg is fertile, look for a faint white bullseye on the yolk. If its infertile, there wills just be a dot :)

Back
Top Bottom