Can a chicken lay more than one egg a day?

Gwen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Langley, Washington
I'm wondering if a chicken can lay more than one egg a day? We have 7 chickens and I'm pretty sure we got 8 eggs one day. Perhaps it went unnoticed from the day before but I don't think so. Also, I'm trying to figure out which chickens are laying which eggs and that is also indicating that perhaps someone is laying more than one egg a day. Not often but occasionally. What do you think?

I had 8 eggs from six hens one day, so it does happen, regardless of "what the book says".
smile.png
I don't go along with the, one hour a day later, lay time either. If anything my hens seem to be laying earlier, rather than later...maybe it's just the time of year..

One of my EE did that. First day she laid, she laid a small bright blue egg, then an hour later she laid one that was bigger, more grayish blue. After about five weeks laying, now her eggs are greenish blue and a lot bigger than my other EE that started way before her.

Hello! Yes they can! We have a Rhode Island Red and a White Leghorn among 3 others and both have laid two eggs in one day. For the WL it's rare, but we have a RIR that lays two a day pretty commonly. I'd say 5 days a week if she's not on a break. It's uncommon to find a chicken that does, but we got lucky! Usually her eggs come out different colors, different sizes, or one soft shell one hard shell. If your bird is laying two eggs take it as a good sign! It usually means they have very good nutrition. When my White Leghorn was laying pullets, We'd get double yolk a lot. That's also a fairly rare occurance but if it happens it means your chicken is healthy!

I have 3 Austrolorpes & 3 isa browns who are 5 months old & I get 8 eggs every day from 6 chickens. I thought it was a bit strange, but I'm not complaining! The eggs are not discoloured or are they misshapen. One chicken regularly lays double yolkers also!!

Back
Top Bottom