Can a chicken lay more than one egg a day?

My girls just started laying the end of October and I have noticed today, and three other days, that someone has layed 2 eggs!

Recently one of my EE's appeared to be egg-bound, in pain with her tail held low. I gave her a warm soak. Within an hour she laid two eggs, one normal, the other a soft-shell.

One of my Isabrowns (I have 2) has double laid today. I picked up an egg at 6am this morning, then another about 9am, then 3.30 this pm, saw a third in the coop, this one with no shell (or an extremely thin shell at least).

Both chickens are about 24 weeks old and have been laying for 3 - 4 weeks

Some previous comments suggested it might have been from late last night, do they lay late in the evening? (there was nothing there when it was dark at 7pm).

Is this likely to stop after a while (i.e. 1 per day), should i get some oyster shells and give that to them to boost their calcium?

I have also noticed A LOT of double yolkers. Is this caused by diet or just a happy coincidence?

Thanks,

Matt

I kind of think it must be possible. I only have one chicken that lays white eggs. I checked this morning- one brown Wellie egg. Checked a little later. One tan silkie egg. Then later, another silkie egg and TWO lovely white eggs. No deformities, no problems. Definitely regular sized. I have four standard-sized layers- three wellies and a polish. Unless a wellie is laying white eggs, the only other logical culprit is the polish.

lol.png
Hi we have 6 hens around 26 weeks old.
Today there were 5 eggs at 8.30 A.M. and 3 more around lunchtime.
Earlier this week our neighbour collected 9 eggs from them at lunchtime !
All eggs are perfect with hard shells.
I've never encountered this with my previous hens,but am delighted !!

One Highland pony and one Welsh X. One Turkish Kangal and one N.Z. Huntaway X Beardie collie.Two cats.Six chooks. One happy man.One lucky me !!

Last edited:
You must have some very happy hens! What kind are they? What do you feed them (not that it would make the difference, but just wondering).

I think I've gotten more than one a day from the same hen occasionally but never that kind of record!

One of my pullets laid two eggs today. She is one of two RSL's that is about 17-18 weeks old. I'm quite pleased, since I raised them from chicks. They are showing up my five RSL hens who only lay 3-5 a day. Highly recommended breed. I love mine. They have very sweet dispositions. Maybe it's all of the extra treats.
big_smile.png

we have a white leggern and she has laid two eggs 3 days in a row and today when she did it she squatted right in front of us while we were sitting in our lawn chairs (freaked us out actually cuz she fluffed all up and just froze) and laid it right on our cement walkway but all the 2nd eggs have been soft shelled, i dont know if its still ok to eat these? they have a very thin shell but other than that look completely fine so if anybody knows about that i would like to know, and also so laying 2 eggs a day wont hurt them any? not like we could help it heh AND one time we got a double yolk which i dont know what causes that but it was from one of our brown eggs thanks

Back
Top Bottom