Can a Coyote/Coydog jump over a 5ft hi fence?

Quote:
Yeah! They are really quite amazing creatures. I grew up in Colorado around them near the mountains and they really were very pesky for the people with livestock. Between the coyotes and the cougars, raising livestock there kinda felt like this
he.gif

Oh yes they can! It doesn't matter if it's stockade or chain link around here. We're in suburbia, and the coyotes think nothing of the "privacy" fences we have. If they want what's in your yard, they'll get it.

I've had dobermans that could easily clear a 5 foot fence. Whether jumping or climbing, it doesn't really matter -- 5 feet isn't gonna keep a coyote away from anything tasty!

a coyote could easily jump a 5 foot high fence if it needed to or wanted to. usually they would rather go under it tho.

i believe deer fences are more like 12ish+ feet.

Yep. Piece of cake if they really want to. To many of the more independent breeds of dog a 5' fence is nothing. The breeder I got my akita from had to put electric wire around the top of their fence sticking out 2' so the dogs would have to jump 5' up and 4' over to clear it without getting zapped. Only way it keeps them in and they still could probably jump that but the fear of hitting the electric keeps them from trying. In agility the minimum height for a dog around coyote size to jump is 18" and I've seen a couple dogs in the most advanced class clear the highest bar at I think 28" repeatedly while turning in the air to land parallel with the jump. For a straight leap (what we call jumping long and low in agility) with any type of run at it a 5' fence would be no obstacle for a coyote or any large dog in good condition.

To most of the japanese breeds like akitas and shibas and most of the northern breeds like huskies a chainlink fence is basically a ladder to them. Without something at the top to deter them they will just run straight up and over without even having to jump. I'm sure coyotes are the same. My akita stays in the yard because I give her no reason to leave and that's it. I always leave the door open when she's out so if she gets bored she can come inside instead of deciding to wander. My 5' cattle panels would be no obstacle to her and even as an 8month pup she went over them. I left her in the yard while I walked out to where we were tilling the new garden and I glance over to the yard to see her topping the fence and running toward me.

Just great! Now I have to worry about coyotes in the run now too!! :eek: Last Friday when Quail_Antwrep and her family was here they got to hear the pack over in my back pasture! Aly got a weird look on her face and said I am getting back in my van now!
lol.png

Quote:
Oh yeah! A coyote can jump much higher than 5 feet!
wink.png

12 1/8 feet long. A coyote can easily clear a 6 foot fence.

You got it Ticks!

Back
Top Bottom