Can a Flightless Duck be happy and Dominant Goose Behaviour?

It was very funny to see and I had a good giggle too
lol.png

My eyes aren't that great so you may see something I don't
tongue.png
I can only see the little red patch at the end of Ducks bill, which looks like lipstick to me. I'll find out about the Muscovey's breeding habits, but you're most likely right that they breed year round due to the warmer climate.

Hunting of Egyptian Geese is permitted here :-( The aggressive territorial breeding habits of the geese means they take over nesting sites of our indigenous water fowl. I've never heard of anyone actually hunting them though, not in these parts. There are still a good number of smallholdings on the outskirts of P.E and that's where these little ones will go when they start to fly.

Thanks so much for your input Miss Lydia and Carrosaur.

I am looking at the top of the bill is that looking like the beginning of some carnucles? My eyes aren't so good either. Either way I am happy your goose now has a friend.

I see what you mean about the red at the top of her bill. It looks a little swollen, so that must be the carnucles forming. If they start forming 4 months on then she can't even be a year old yet.

I got a bit of a start yesterday because when I got to her crate I could hear her breathing. First thing I thought of was stress from confinement causing respiratory issues. Then it dawned on me that she hasn't had a swim in over a week because of the strapping, so I gave her a deep bowl of water to wet her face in and the sound is gone
ya.gif
Very relieved. I'm putting her out in the garden this weekend to get some sunshine and stretch.
She has a little spot of the softest feathers at the base of the back of her neck
love.gif

I see what you mean about the red at the top of her bill. It looks a little swollen, so that must be the carnucles forming. If they start forming 4 months on then she can't even be a year old yet.

I got a bit of a start yesterday because when I got to her crate I could hear her breathing. First thing I thought of was stress from confinement causing respiratory issues. Then it dawned on me that she hasn't had a swim in over a week because of the strapping, so I gave her a deep bowl of water to wet her face in and the sound is gone
ya.gif
Very relieved. I'm putting her out in the garden this weekend to get some sunshine and stretch.
She has a little spot of the softest feathers at the base of the back of her neck
love.gif
I think she is much loved and I am happy she has found a wonderful home where she is cared for thanks for update and glad you figured out the breathing issue and took care of it. Pics as often as you can.
smile.png

Love your new avatar!

And then there were......15!
These were collected from the airport. Perfect nesting area were it not for the planes
ep.gif

They've already bonded and no bossiness from the bigger ones :) They may still be trying to figure out where the rest of the family suddenly appeared from
tongue.png

Last edited:
Love your new avatar!

And then there were......15!
These were collected from the airport. Perfect nesting area were it not for the planes
ep.gif

They've already bonded and no bossiness from the bigger ones :) I think they're still in shock.
Aww Bless their hearts.. why do mamas do this, Canada's here will nest in parking lots, air ports too anywhere actually and in harms way crazy birds. Glad to hear bigger ones aren't picking on the little's. You sure have your hands full. Such a precious pic. Thanks for compliment that is my baby boy, he thinks he's one of the dogs. lol

No no that was a previous seasons hatchlings.
I fed them on oats gruel in the evening and they were free range for the rest of the time. They eat a lot of grass, especially chickweed and snails! It was quite unsettling to see them crush the shells and gobble them down with considerable relish.

They are fierce defenders of their brood and very territorial in breeding season.

Last edited:
No no that was a previous seasons hatchlings.
I fed them on oats gruel in the evening and they were free range for the rest of the time. They eat a lot of grass, especially chickweed and snails! It was quite unsettling to see them crush the shells and gobble them down with considerable relish.

They are fierce defenders of their brood and very territorial in breeding season.
I hope some of them actually get to raise their brood themselves. lol Eating snails or frogs grosses me out.

Strapping the wing didn't help much because once the duck got outside she was diving through the tortoises water bowls and flapping and fluffing much better. Don't know if that wing will ever set now! As soon as the duck saw Goose she RAN to her chattering all the way. The goose was very snooty though and wouldn't let duck near her pond until she had walked (literally) over her!!. She stood there, one foot on the ducks back!!I nearly had a fit and tried to chase Goose, but she was quite protective of the duck
hu.gif
Not nasty or anything, but she positioned herself between me and the duck and when I pushed her away she just came back! Sounds more and more like mating behaviour doesn't it.... Goose was fine after she had asserted her authority. I dare not leave them alone together while I'm at work, but I can't leave the duck in the camp with the goslings because the one older gosling attacks and bites her! (Bare in mind that this EG gosling is only about 3 weeks old) If I leave the crate outside unsupervised the duck may hurt herself trying to get to the goose, so she'll be crate bound until I get home every day
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom