can a raccoon cut cable

juggler78

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
I have to secure the roof of my coop that opens both sides. I'm thinking of connecting both sides with a cable and securing it with a lock or carabiner. My question is can a raccoon cut through cable and if so how thick should it be before they can't. Thanks for your help.

Raccoons cannot cut through cable, or metal locks those would be a fine solution. Make sure the lock is locked all the way though because they are smart enough to jar an unlocked lock off to get inside the coop.

Last edited:
I have to secure the roof of my coop that opens both sides. I'm thinking of connecting both sides with a cable and securing it with a lock or carabiner. My question is can a raccoon cut through cable and if so how thick should it be before they can't. Thanks for your help.

What materiel would the cable be made of? There are a lot of things people consider "cable", so knowing what the cable you are considering is made of will help to answer the question of the raccoon being able to go through it.
Then there is the matter of can and likely to do so. Even if the cable in question is one that a raccoon *could* get through, the likelyhood of one doing so may not be so great as to make it a poor choice.

Cable will be metal cable, have to get out from home depot. For aesthetics the thinnest that will work would be best, so just wondering what peoples experiences are.

I agree a strong cable is not going to get bitten through. Chicken wire, yes, a cable at least the thickness of like livestock fencing your good.

Back
Top Bottom