can anyone identify this fish?

.....No. Just no. Everything you said...no. First of all, that is not the babies eyes. It's called the Gravid Spot. Secondly, do NOT let fish "free". It's just as bad as letting domesticated ducks "Free". If you have an overflow of babies, buy a larger tank or stop breeding them. We have native species disappearing because of people letting their pets "Free". "Minnow" is a general term people use for any small fish, and while there are certain species of Minnow, that is not one of them. It is very likely a Gambusia affinis. A Mosquito Fish. Also a prime example of why introducing non native species can negatively impact an ecosystem. Mosquito Fish were intentionally introduced in areas with a large population of mosquitoes. They eat mosquito larvae. Even though, in most areas, native fish were already doing the exact same thing. Introducing the mosquito fish has been more harmful to indigenous aquatic life than to the mosquitoes. They kill or injure other small fish because of their aggression, or out compete them for food. They've also been known to eat the eggs of native species.
You know, this is pretty old and probably doesnt matter but, very close before birth one can actually see the eyes of the fry, being the largest part of the body at that time.

Like I said, irrellavant but I think the fish(from what I know of domestic fish) was a platy or molly

Back
Top Bottom