can anyone identify this fish?

They look like they are related to sea horses.

Because they are.
lol.png

Its what we call minows around here. we have millions around here. my kids have some in a container outside. they are used to go fishing around here

Sorry for the delay in responding I had to take three tests yesterday which I passed!! Week four of nursing school and I am still passing....always a good thing!!

I want this fish to be anything but a carp. It definitely does look pregnant to me as well. If it is a minnow or a guppy it will be fish food for what's already in the tank. Thank you all for your hilarious responses.

Chicken people are the best.
wink.png

Those are minnows! I have about twenty of them! That one is pregnant too. See the black spot by her tail? That is they babies' eyes! You will soon have baby fish! They multiply very fast. i need to take some of mine down to the park and let them go. But I want to go to petsmart and get a fancy female guppy and put one of my males with her and see what we get.
fl.gif
Maybe I'll create a new fish???

Those are minnows! I have about twenty of them! That one is pregnant too. See the black spot by her tail? That is they babies' eyes! You will soon have baby fish! They multiply very fast. i need to take some of mine down to the park and let them go. But I want to go to petsmart and get a fancy female guppy and put one of my males with her and see what we get.
fl.gif
.....No. Just no. Everything you said...no. First of all, that is not the babies eyes. It's called the Gravid Spot. Secondly, do NOT let fish "free". It's just as bad as letting domesticated ducks "Free". If you have an overflow of babies, buy a larger tank or stop breeding them. We have native species disappearing because of people letting their pets "Free". "Minnow" is a general term people use for any small fish, and while there are certain species of Minnow, that is not one of them. It is very likely a Gambusia affinis. A Mosquito Fish. Also a prime example of why introducing non native species can negatively impact an ecosystem. Mosquito Fish were intentionally introduced in areas with a large population of mosquitoes. They eat mosquito larvae. Even though, in most areas, native fish were already doing the exact same thing. Introducing the mosquito fish has been more harmful to indigenous aquatic life than to the mosquitoes. They kill or injure other small fish because of their aggression, or out compete them for food. They've also been known to eat the eggs of native species.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Even if you got the minnows from the wild, once you have them in captivity, in a tank with store-bought fish, you shouldn't release them. They could get a parasite or disease from the store-bought fish and you could then transfer it into the wild.

fl.gif
When I was about your age, I had guppies, and we caught some Mosquitofish from the ditch out front of the house. I found out that Gambusias have voracious appetites, and they seem to find big, colorful fins irresistible. If my experience is anything to go by, what you'll get is a guppy without a tail in very short order.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom