can anyone tell the diff from a polish hen to a rooster

Another thread hijack... Sorry first time with polish and not sure if its a rooster. About 2 months old:

Thanks for the help!

I'm gonna jump on the band wagon here, this is Claude- is he definately a he, I only worry as he's soooo quiet, we was told before we bought him he was crowing, but we've heard nothing!?

I'm gonna jump on the band wagon here, this is Claude- is he definately a he, I only worry as he's soooo quiet, we was told before we bought him he was crowing, but we've heard nothing!?
Yes, that is definitely a rooster. You can tell due to the patchy red on his wings, sickle feathers in the tail, pointed crest, and of course, the crowing.

pics would really help...by now if it was a cockerel it would have 2 long curving tail feathers called sickle feathers, at the base of the tail it would have long slender pointed feathers called hackle feathers, and then the neck would have similar looking feathers just not as long and these are the hackles. 

the feathers along the base of the back are saddle feathers...

what am I looking at... based on the polish... and if anyone can tell, the silkie ameraucana mix

Last edited:
OK, with Ignoring the nice tall broad stance (because my hens do that too) what do you think ? Hen or Rooster? 7mo. Old.
Just purchased as a hen with a "slight chance it isn't if so just bring it back" clause LOL.
I see hardly any difference in this one and the definite hen (has laid) only thing making me curious is ONE tail feather is longer and slightly bent.
When I had thought I saw saddle feathers I saw those same feathers on the neck of my hen soooooooo I'm unsure LOL

Has NOT crowed for us as we just purchased, and was told has not crowed there either (very reputable local farm, he wouldn't lie to me)
Thoughts?
Thanks!
ANOTHER VIEW

Last edited:
OK, with Ignoring the nice tall broad stance (because my hens do that too) what do you think ? Hen or Rooster? 7mo. Old.
Just purchased as a hen with a "slight chance it isn't if so just bring it back" clause LOL.
I see hardly any difference in this one and the definite hen (has laid) only thing making me curious is ONE tail feather is longer and slightly bent.
When I had thought I saw saddle feathers I saw those same feathers on the neck of my hen soooooooo I'm unsure LOL

Has NOT crowed for us as we just purchased, and was told has not crowed there either (very reputable local farm, he wouldn't lie to me)
Thoughts?
Thanks!
ANOTHER VIEW
Looks like a pullet to me!
smile.png

OK, with Ignoring the nice tall broad stance (because my hens do that too) what do you think ? Hen or Rooster? 7mo. Old. Just purchased as a hen with a "slight chance it isn't if so just bring it back" clause LOL. I see hardly any difference in this one and the definite hen (has laid) only thing making me curious is ONE tail feather is longer and slightly bent. When I had thought I saw saddle feathers I saw those same feathers on the neck of my hen soooooooo I'm unsure LOL Has NOT crowed for us as we just purchased, and was told has not crowed there either (very reputable local farm, he wouldn't lie to me) Thoughts? Thanks! ANOTHER VIEW
that is a pullet, trust me, I think polish get the sharpest saddles of any of our birds! Also, look at the picture I posted. I was just trying to see if you guys knew, but the female is on the right, the male one the left, see how their crest grew different?

Back
Top Bottom