Can bumblefoot start at the hock

So I tried the homemade sling - and didn't go well at all. I figured out what would work, however I don't have one right now - I'm going to order a chicken sweater, and then I can just secure it to a horizontal post. I can tell she does really need this, because as I was trying to make my sling and she was up temporarily, she just closed her eyes and fell asleep. I can tell she must be hurting more or she is getting back some of her facilities, as she is really moving around a lot (backwards of course, with the use of her wings) - but this can't be good for either of her legs, especially the one with the sore one it. I'm concerned she may never regain use of her legs, as both of her lower legs and toes curl inwards and I'm not sure they can be rehabbed to be flat again. But the chicken vet should be able to help with this prognosis. Tomorrow after work, I will try to make something again, to hold her body up and let her legs dangle for awhile. Throughout all this - she still has such a ferocious appetite. Her breathing issues have totally resolved, but I am keeping antibodics on board - as I am afraid, it isn't cured, just stable for now.

So I tried the homemade sling - and didn't go well at all. I figured out what would work, however I don't have one right now - I'm going to order a chicken sweater, and then I can just secure it to a horizontal post. I can tell she does really need this, because as I was trying to make my sling and she was up temporarily, she just closed her eyes and fell asleep. I can tell she must be hurting more or she is getting back some of her facilities, as she is really moving around a lot (backwards of course, with the use of her wings) - but this can't be good for either of her legs, especially the one with the sore one it. I'm concerned she may never regain use of her legs, as both of her lower legs and toes curl inwards and I'm not sure they can be rehabbed to be flat again. But the chicken vet should be able to help with this prognosis. Tomorrow after work, I will try to make something again, to hold her body up and let her legs dangle for awhile. Throughout all this - she still has such a ferocious appetite. Her breathing issues have totally resolved, but I am keeping antibodics on board - as I am afraid, it isn't cured, just stable for now.

Sounds like a good idea
smile.png
Thank you for the update.
Yes, from looking at it, a little swing might give her a little relief. (Post some pics when you get her set up).
I'm glad to hear she is eating. I know you are doing everything possible.
I hope the vet can give you a more clear answer on what needs to be done.
Keep us posted.

I definitely will let you know - as I know first hand how useful this info will be to someone else. All the treatment I have been giving her is from articles/posts from here, along with two other different and isolated emergencies over the last 6 months. Most people I know - their solution to any chicken problem is to just take it out or let nature take it's course, instead of trying to find out if the bird can be saved. I just can't do that. While I really only set out to have a few chickens - I now know that I enjoy them - and even more so when they are healthy! I am now really looking at prevention instead of emergency medicine, if I can help it! But I am a new to the chicken world, and have learned a lot since I took this on 7 months ago.

I think you have done a good job!
Like you, I read quite a bit and am always learning. I've learned a few from this thread alone. I like to do some research, sort of like solving a puzzles.
I really do appreciate the updates. The info you provide on what is working/what's not and any progress or set back that you encounter while treating your girl will be helpful to someone else in the future.

. This is us last night. The only way I could get her in a sling and know she wasn't hurting herself. She really is trying hard to get up on the good leg, which is bad and good, so I am really worried she will hurt herself more when I'm at work. Don't want to encourage to much weight bearing on her legs/leg - until the vet determines what is wrong. Started her on the nutridrench last night. Hurry up and get here Saturday!

. This is us last night. The only way I could get her in a sling and know she wasn't hurting herself. She really is trying hard to get up on the good leg, which is bad and good, so I am really worried she will hurt herself more when I'm at work. Don't want to encourage to much weight bearing on her legs/leg - until the vet determines what is wrong. Started her on the nutridrench last night. Hurry up and get here Saturday!
This is so sweet!
love.gif

You are doing everything you can for the little sweetie.
Hopefully the vet can give you a better idea of treatment and recovery options.

Tonight I Can tell that left Hock is much more swollen than it was three days ago. I believe it is because I stopped the tylan 50, which was only supposed to be for five days. I'm going to go ahead and give her an injection tonight with it. Hopefully I have not hindered her recovery. Whatever issue that hock has, it was responding to the Tylan 50 apparently. She doesn't seem to be in any more or less pain, it's just noticeably bigger, and I thought it was possibly growing in size but now I can definitely tell a difference. However everything else is the same, appetite is great, the desire to stand up is still there and she doesn't seem any different except for that. Tonight I am working on an enclosure that will hopefully be safe to sling her up in so that when I go to work tomorrow she can be in a upright position, instead of backing up on her hocks the entire day while I'm at work. No easy task for somebody who has no sewing skills nor any real material to try to accomplish this but I am trying. I think this will really help her as far as pain goes if I can get this done.

The antibiotics may atleast help relieve a bit of the pain and swelling until you can get her to vet.
I think the sling is a great idea. Hopefully it will help keep some of the pressure of the hock. I know she's wanting to get moving. This may make her feel happier anyway.
smile.png

So the vet is pretty confident that this started as a limb deformity, not due to a vitamin defiency, but more aquired, where one or both of the legs were affected. The treatment when I first noticed this was to hobble/tape up the legs, to keep them straight up and down.

What has probably happened since I didn't do this, she started walking on her hocks because the legs were twisted, and she injured the left, which caused the sore. She came down the the probable respitory infection since others in the flock have colds, and in her lower state of immunity - got really sick.

He says realistically she will never walk, that he feels the damage is just to pronounced. He says she may have damaged a tendon, and that cannot be repaired now without major surgery, breaking of bones, and resetting from there.

I feel that Oprah is a very tough bird. I know the prognosis is grave for the legs - and believe the damage is probably permanent - but today we are going to leave with our legs taped up, and see what happens from there. He says it is ok to keep her in Tylan. If anything, it will help to prevent another cold and if she does have an infection in that left hock, hopefully it will continue to treat it. I'm going to have him show me how to tape up her legs, and I will continue that treatment at home, until she gives me the sign that she wants me to end her suffering - because right now she is only indicating to me that she wants to live. My hope is that her tendon/s didn't tear, that her being underweight will work for her while we treat the limb deformity, and she ends up one day being able to walk on her own. I work in the medical field, and on rare occasions I see a case of a patient beating all odds. The easy thing would be to put her down and simplify my life - but I can invest the extra time as she clearly shows me that she wants to live - and we will see what happens. I will give weekly updates, unless she goes south, and then I will post immediately. This is her at the vets today -
. When he gets done with her "hobble" - I will post a pic of that.

That's very interesting.
Thank you for the update!
I'm glad the vet was able to give you a clearer picture of what is going on and what to expect.
I commend you on not giving up on her. She is a cutie for sure.
Please do keep updates, I was wondering how your visit went.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom