Can chickens eat potato leaves???

Y N dottes

Songster
7 Years
Sep 1, 2012
South Central WI
So I have some potato plants and i'm wondering if it ok for chickens to eat these....
The reason i ask is because i've heared to stay away from feeding them green potato peels, and i'm pretty sure potato fruits (not the roots) are somewhat toxic.
If anyone has an opinion on this please respond.

I would stay away from feeding them anything to do with uncooked potatoe anything... Uncooked potatoes are toxic to us and pretty much everything else, why chance it

So I have some potato plants and i'm wondering if it ok for chickens to eat these....
The reason i ask is because i've heared to stay away from feeding them green potato peels, and i'm pretty sure potato fruits (not the roots) are somewhat toxic.
If anyone has an opinion on this please respond.

They won't eat them....at least my hens looked really close at the potato plants (and tomato plants) and walked right by....maybe they know the plants aren't good for them, or maybe they just don't taste good, but my hens won't eat them.

Mine eat them when they grow through the fence. All of them have nibbled away at the leaves! I tossed some from the garden when I harvested yesterday, and by the time I went to pick them up, the girls had eaten all the leaves. They also like Cilantro! Is that bad for them as well?

Mine eat them when they grow through the fence. All of them have nibbled away at the leaves! I tossed some from the garden when I harvested yesterday, and by the time I went to pick them up, the girls had eaten all the leaves. They also like Cilantro! Is that bad for them as well?
Did your chicken get sick after eating the potato leaf?

I'm convinced chickens won't eat anything toxic to them. My chicken run has had DOZENS of lilies in it for several years and the chickens don't bother them at all, other than to cultivate and fertilize them. They do not eat them. If chickens didn't know any better than to eat poison, they would have been extinct long ago.

Having said that, I can't explain styrofoam. It's not a natural substance and I don't think it's toxic exactly, but they might get an impaction from eating too much of it. It's too new for them to have adapted or evolved a natural response to it. Keep it away from them.

My six week old Bresse chick had eaten the leaves of my potatoe plant and is fine. I don't know if anyone has actually experienced a chicken dying or becoming I'll from doing eating from a potatoe plant? But my chick is ok.

I have 18 pullets that have completely destroyed two of my potato plants, just the leaves. I can NOT get them to leave them alone. None of them are acting sick. They’ve also ate most of my prickly lettuce, mint and basil which I know is fine. Keeping an eye on them as usual and will lyk! Yikesssss.

I have 18 pullets that have completely destroyed two of my potato plants, just the leaves. I can NOT get them to leave them alone. None of them are acting sick. They’ve also ate most of my prickly lettuce, mint and basil which I know is fine. Keeping an eye on them as usual and will lyk! Yikesssss.
My chickens eat my tomato plant's leaves, they really make me upset. I think they are immune to them. They have been eating tomato leaves for a year and are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom