Can free range birds have a smaller coop?

CBanks

Hatching
May 26, 2023
Hi all, new poster here.

I am increasing the size of my flock from 5 to 15. In the last couple months, my current chickens figured out how to get out of the run I had fenced in for them (multiple jumps to the top of the coop, then over the fence). I eventually decided to just give them free range of the yard. They have free access to the coop during the day, but only go in there to lay and sleep. They all go to the coop at sundown, and I just latch them up to make sure a raccoon, possum, dog, etc. doesn't get in. I have had no issues with predators, but I recognize that won't last forever.

To make a long story short, I was going to double the size of the current coop to 8'x8' for the 15 total layers, and move it to a new area I am fencing in, which is just shy of a quarter acre. That enclosed quarter acre will (hopefully) double as space for a pair of milk goats next spring. I recognize the general rule of thumb is 4 sqft per bird in the coop, and 10 in the run. I essentially want to know if I really need 60+ sqft for these chickens if they have constant access to ~10,000 sqft of "run" during the day, or if I can get away with building something a little smaller, which I could make out of things I already have on the property. If I need to build the full size coop, I will do so, but I wanted some input from people that don't keep their birds in smaller runs all day. They'll have shaded areas and windbreaks outside the coop as well, they just won't be fully enclosed.

My only concerns would be regarding poor weather days, as well as the worst of winter in general. I'm in northern Indiana, and the winters can be pretty cold and snowy. Last year the hens I have spent the worst of the snow days in the coop, though they did spend the sunnier days out scratching in the snow.

I have a pretty small coop for the size of my flock… it’s 48 sq ft with 14 chickens right now… in a few months when some chicks grow up it’ll be up to between 15-20 (depends on how many are hens!). This works perfectly fine for my flock, I do have 24 feet of roost bar space so enough of that for 24 hens. However I live in a very mild climate. Snow maybe happens a couple times a year and melts by the end of the day so my chickens don’t ever spend all day in the coop. Climate really matters in this instance. I feel like if you have multiple days in a row of snowy weather where they won’t want to go out you will need a bigger coop.

Back
Top Bottom