Can I create any new colour from these pekins/Cochin bantams?

Bantam pekin

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2019
Mixing Pekin/ Cochin bantam,
Hi, I have a few different colours of pekins. White, black, lavander, buff, black motted, Cuckoo, millefleur. I will be breeding most of them true to colour. I am just looking to know from your experience if I cross certain colours what different mixes I can expect? Ie do certain colour crosses give me something nice that I don't have that's not a complete mess lol.

What colours would be genetically gold and what colours would be genetically silver?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions

Your white is a wild card. There's no telling what is under the white so any crossing with it can't be predicted.
As far as gold and silver your MF and buff is gold the rest should be silver but that's not a guarantee.
Crossing your MF and buff could give you some buff Columbian type or at least buff with black tails.
Everything else probably won't give you anything new and exciting but if you start crossing then breed the offspring together then you'll start getting some new colors/patterns. Some won't be hard but others will take hatching large amounts of chicks.
You can pretty much put cuckoo and mottling on any of the colors or even cuckoo and mottling on the same birds.
Lavender cuckoo, buff cuckoo, lavender mottled, buff mottled etc.
Then ya playing with the silver/gold can get new patterns like getting buff Columbian then changing it to Columbian or turning MF into silver MF etc.
You have plenty of different genes to make quite a few new varieties but for me it spider webs. Every time you get something new it can usually be used to get something else. Before long you'll have a dozen varieties with plans for a dozen more.

Thanks very much. IlI' have a play around with a few. Lol I know what you mean, it ewoul easy to get very deep into it and have to many projects going . With MF and buff being gold, in theory should I be able to get sex linked putting them on other colours? For example buff over white or buff or Mf over cuckoo? Black over cuckoo etc. Thanks

Black sex links are basically non barred roosters over barred hens. The resulting cockerel chicks will be barred and have a head spot when hatched and pullets will not be barred or have head spots.
The key is producing chicks that the head spot will show on.
You can cross your black, lavander, and black motted over your cuckoo and get black chicks that will show the head spots very well.

Black sex links are basically non barred roosters over barred hens. The resulting cockerel chicks will be barred and have a head spot when hatched and pullets will not be barred or have head spots.
The key is producing chicks that the head spot will show on.
You can cross your black, lavander, and black motted over your cuckoo and get black chicks that will show the head spots very well.

Sorry to annoy you again moonshiner, the only other sexlink that is easier to see at hatching with pekins would be my buff rooster over a white hen if she carries the silver gene? Would that be correct? If my white hen is a silver gene carrier I should also be able to use my white silky bantam rooster on her and get sexlink chicks? I am hoping to breed a good few hatchers/broodys for myself so this would be very handy. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom