Can I feed whole, dried corn to chickens?

I tried cracked corn, have one hen that loves corn. They ate a bunch then walked away... weird hens.
I also give grit IN the Coop as it is too cold out and will either freeze to the ground or get covered in snow. I just toss it on the coop floor along with some crumble feed to keep them busy

... You'll read a lot about corn on this forum. In spite of what you read, corn does have a lot of nutrient value. But it is not the perfect food, so it needs to be mixed in the proper proportions with other foods to give them a balanced diet of proteins, fats, fiber, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and whatever else they need.

Thanks for the great information! I have seen inexpensive, dried, corn on the cob in the wild bird seed area at Lowes. I'd like to tie one or two on a string inside the run to keep our ladies active and reduce boredom.

I know this is a super old feed. I just tried whole corn for the first time because it was 35 degrees when I went outside to check on the girls and they pecked a few times and then walked away to their feeder. . I thought the whole corn was good as a treat and to help with energy on cold days. I got whole since it’s supposed to be better but they seem to not be interested. Any suggestions?

The ground is still covered with most of what I put out. They do have grit and OS. They must just not like corn but I’ll leave it and see... I also have some I’m trying to sprout.

Back
Top Bottom