Can I keep the meat?

JNorth

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Western New York
Checked on the Cornish X's this morning, all was well. An hour later there was a dead bird by the water dish. The air temp is 45* and the bird was warmish to the touch but stiff. I cut out the breast and legs being carefully not to puncture the belly. I rinsed in cold water and placed it in the fridge immediately. The meat looks fine, no damage or unusual smell. Now I'm second guessing myself... Is the meat safe?

Personally that freshly dead its personal choice. Some people would rid themselves of it. If they didn't do the deed they won't trust it. Others would use it with caution. Or yet others would use it w/o a second thought. If it appears that the bird drowned or heart attack it MAY be safe. If in doubt, I would cut it up, or grind it and feed it to the other birds or pets (Dogs and cats will love it), that is IF you are not sure. Realize there are a lot of people that eat meat a lot older than "warm to the touch". A lot of archery hunters (I being 1) do not get their animal until it has been dead for few hours and have no issues.

For many the age isn't likely the problem, but the unknown circumstances of the fatality. When I later locate a dear that I shot, I still know I shot it and it was likely a healthy animal before our paths crossed. If I find a bird dead that I just checked on recently I am unsure what actually killed it. I suppose if its close to harvest and a suspected heart attack I MAY see my way clear, but more likely I would give give that one to the dog.

I have to say I'd be in the "I wouldn't eat it because I didn't kill it" camp. If I watched it flop over, then maybe. It's probably fine, and it probably died of a heart attack if they're at butchering size right now. The meat quality shouldn't be affected since it was still warm when you found it. It's a personal choice that you have to make.

This happened to one of my birds.... he tasted soo good with a beer can up his butt...

Perhaps that what killed it... just saying
lau.gif

Perhaps that what killed it... just saying
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
LOL!

I have been wondering the same thing regarding keeping or not the meat in the event of a sudden death. We are considering our first run of meat birds and I suppose it's a question that we all have at one time or another.

I am interested in the scientific part of this over the personal opinion though. Is the meat actually damaged if a bird has a heart attack? Or are people that won't eat it just squeemish and worried about it being an illness that killed them that could affect them as well? My assumption would be after 10 years in the medical field that if a normally healthy appearing bird dies suddenly that it would be a heart attack, stroke or natural cause rather than illness. Which seems like it would not damage meat. Plus, proper cooking would kill any disease.

When you think about the purchase of chicken from the grocery store, you have no way of knowing for sure if they were slaughtered or died naturally really. Yet, we cook and eat it with no problems. Is it the knowing that is an issue for people?

If a predator attacks and kills it I could see consumption of the meat being an absolute no-no!

This is a very curious subject for me!

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of things are personal choice when it comes to meat birds, or culled layers etc. Some people see a limping birds and think its a no no because "There is something wrong with the meat." I do a personal assumption. Is it broke, sore damage to nail that's effecting the walking. If its questionalble I don't harvest the bird, just humanely dispatch. If I watch a flip heart attack, (Only 1 and was a WLH rooster not a CX.) I will put in the freezer.
Predators are a no-no, but injuries of other nature are worth a look into. In the end its all personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom