Can I let pigeons loft with my chickens?

Quote:
There's quite a bit of info between here and the pigeon-talk forum (http://www.pigeons.biz/forums). Or you can just ask away and we can help
big_smile.png

Thanks! I already have a question. I was looking on that site you posted and someone said you should never, ever use corn cob, pine or cedar bedding for birds. Does that apply to pigeons housed with chickens? We use pine shavings and hay in our coop.

You sure can! I had pigeons and chickens together for years. They all got along great and went about their pigeon and chicken business, respectively.

Although...I once had a pigeon hatch a chicken egg. One of my bantam sumatra hens flew up to the rafters and laid an egg in a pigeon nest. The pigeon owners of the nest thought it was their egg and proceeded to hatch it. One day while I was in the barn I heard a ruckus up in the rafters and figured one of the pigeons pairs must be parents, so I grabbed a ladder and climbed up there (baby pigeons are so ugly they are cute!) to see. I about fell off the ladder in surprise when I saw the mother pigeon standing (she couldn't even sit!) on top of a newly hatched, fluffy yellow baby chicken. It looked like she had four legs! And she looked mighty confused (I wondered if they had tried to feed the chick yet...). I wound up raising the pigeon-chick in the brooder and she turned out to be a wonderful little hen. :)

I love pigeons!!! (And chickens, but that's obvious.
lol.png
)

Quote:
There's quite a bit of info between here and the pigeon-talk forum (http://www.pigeons.biz/forums). Or you can just ask away and we can help
big_smile.png

Thanks! I already have a question. I was looking on that site you posted and someone said you should never, ever use corn cob, pine or cedar bedding for birds. Does that apply to pigeons housed with chickens? We use pine shavings and hay in our coop.

As long as the shavings aren't treated or anything, and there's plenty of ventilation, then it'll be fine. I've used shavings a lot and never had any problems. I've also used corn cob and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it! I think the only reason they said that is the birds might be tempted to eat it, and of course if it's got gunk stuck to it, that's not good to eat. I've never seen my birds try to eat it, especially when they have plenty of real food to eat. But otherwise, no problems
smile.png
So what you're using is fine.

sad.png
Keep in mind that squeakers (young pigeons), when first learning to fly, often end up on the floor where the chickens can reach them.

Next thing you know all that's left are the wings and feet.
sickbyc.gif
(I learned this years ago.... the hard way.)

It's best to keep the pigeons where the babies can not get near the chickens. Once they are flying well there won't be a problem.
Unless you consider the fact that the pigeons will freely poop on whatever the chickens can not reach.

I also am starting to add pigeons to my chickens, in the spring. Are you saying I just need to add the nesting box for the pigeons up higher then my chickens boxes and roost up higher, same everything they high, even above the chicken nesting boxes and roost? If I do that then my chickens will have the window and not the pigeons

Quote:
I've had that happen too!
smile.png
Whenever I want to give my birds a break from raising babies, but they still continue to lay eggs, I just switch them out with chicken eggs. Gives them the joy of hatching, but saves them from the stress of feeding. It's really cute to see the chicks under them.
http://picasaweb.google.com/MaryOfExeter/August13th2008

Those pics are awesome What kind of tags do you use? it looks like the ones for clothes, how are you putting them on? do they bother the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom