Can I let pigeons loft with my chickens?

I would never even try to put them together. I've see chickens rip doves to shreds in seconds.
Yeah, well obviously you wouldn't want to put doves with chickens, they are far more fragile and tiny than a pigeon. But flying pigeon breeds wouldn't let a chicken rip them apart, they'd just fly away. (And I will say different chickens are different. I don't think all chickens would hurt pigeons given the chance. I think I would trust my Seramas with any kind of pigeon because they are so tiny and haven't a mean bone in their body. Maybe still not baby pigeons, but I can't imagine them picking on even the fanciest pigeons breed. My D'uccle are also really laid back. But my Pyncheons are also bantams and they are the opposite - love chasing pigeons/new chicks, etc. It just depends on the breed and individual.)

Pigeon young are no larger or less fragile than a dove. Size is basically the only difference in determining if a bird is considered a dove or a pigeon. If they'd go after a dove they'd do the same with a pigeon. Just because it'd be a little harder doesn't mean it's not risky.

Yeah, well obviously you wouldn't want to put doves with chickens, they are far more fragile and tiny than a pigeon. But flying pigeon breeds wouldn't let a chicken rip them apart, they'd just fly away. (And I will say different chickens are different. I don't think all chickens would hurt pigeons given the chance. I think I would trust my Seramas with any kind of pigeon because they are so tiny and haven't a mean bone in their body. Maybe still not baby pigeons, but I can't imagine them picking on even the fanciest pigeons breed. My D'uccle are also really laid back. But my Pyncheons are also bantams and they are the opposite - love chasing pigeons/new chicks, etc. It just depends on the breed and individual.)

Yes, I know - that is why if you read my post it says never to breed pigeons where chickens have access to the babies or put young pigeons who can't fly well yet with pigeons.

Domestic doves also dont fly nearly as well as flying pigeons breeds, which is why I also said only pigeon breeds that can fly well should ever be housed with chickens.

Good for you. Doesn't change my opinion, which I didn't post to argue about.

Yes, I know - that is why if you read my post it says never to breed pigeons where chickens have access to the babies or put young pigeons who can't fly well yet with pigeons.

Domestic doves also dont fly nearly as well as flying pigeons breeds, which is why I also said only pigeon breeds that can fly well should ever be housed with chickens.

I had fan tailed pigeons as a kid and we used pine needles. I had them for years. In East Texas we had pine needles everywhere so it was free. I have had fan tailed pigeons for 2 years now and have used hay and pine shavings and have had no problems with it.They are beautiful and just love hearing them fly. I have mine in a fully enclosed pen as I am afraid of haws and owls getting them as with the big tails they can't fly for long periods of time. I had them housed with chickens when I was younger but it was a huge hen house and chicken yard, they spent most of their time sitting on the fence post. The last 2 years they were housed with chickens but it was a smaller area fully enclosed and the chickens sometimes pecked on them. Since I have moved to East Texas I made them their own area and they are loving it. They don't need as much room as chickens do, but each set needs their own nesting boxes. I try to keep a couple extra boxes for when they want to just chill out in another box. Their nest boxes need cleaning more frequently then chicken boxes as they sleep and stay in their boxes all the time. I have to plastic hen nesting box that is easy to lift off where it hangs so it's easier and faster cleaning. I also have an extra box that is stored in hen house so that when they have babies (the box gets nasty quick-as babies don't leave their box until they are fully feathered and can fly) I can quickly move the babies to an empty box, pull their box off the wall dump the shavings in back pasture and put the extra box up, put shavings in the clean box and put babies back in it. Then I wash the one that they were in and after it dries I place it back in the hen house. It keeps things cleaner and less likely to have diseases that way. Hope this info helps you. Again I only raise Fan Tailed Pigeons and chickens at this time.

get a pair of pigeons and let them share the coop with my chickens.

SHORT ANSWER chickens will sometimes kill one another and are little dinosaurs. The flock will attack as a group anything that is weak or the least bit foreign to them. "NO" Unless you do not mind having your pigeons bullied, sometimes killed, pigeon nest vandalized, eggs or squabs eaten.

Then "GO FOR IT".

Last edited:
I have pigeons nest high up and two feeders so no problems

Can you post photos of your set up with the pigeons and chickens together?

How long have you been keeping them like this?

My pigeons and chickens were in a huge coop with an aviary on the side and they were all free to fly or walk about during the day outside.

I still had my chickens kill pigeons or injure them.. usually when the pigeons were high up on the nests and trying to protect the young.

I have also had chickens sneak up on a pigeon that was feeding and grab its back and then all pile on it and try to kill it.

Young pigeons that flew to the ground and were learning to fly also got attacked.

So I now keep them all separate and advise others to do the same. I mean they don't even eat the same food, need different perching arrangement, nesting places etc.

Keeping fantail or other fancy pigeon in with chickens is just a no no. They can't fly well, they can't see the chickens if they come from the back either.

Ok, I’m excited also. My husband was not onboard with the chickens, but he came in today and asked if I was interested in Racing Pigeons. I can keep them in the same coop? That would be so cool! Now he can’t pout at me about the chicks anymore. All I have to do is put in higher shelf. That’s it?

Back
Top Bottom