Can I raise black australorps and barred rocks together?

lvlzbth

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
I am very new to chickens, I am wanting to start my own flock of about 20-30 birds. i have a huge chicken house that has housed 30+ chickens before, and an enclosed run they can go in, they wont be free range birds.I live in the Texas panhandle so temperatures can get in the triple digits in the summertime and get in the single digits in the wintertime. I'm leaning towards getting black australorps and barred rocks because of their hardiness and the fact that they are dual purpose birds (I am open to other breed suggestions though!) but I'm afraid to raise different breeds together because of what my father in law told me about his birds, he got both brown or red leghorns and another breed that was white, and the leghorns pecked all the white birds to death! So I don't know what to think! Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC.

You can raise most any breed of chicken together. Right now I have five different breeds together, many of us have more breeds. Bantams and large fowl can live together, again many do. It often depends on how they are introduced and how much space you have.

I must congratulate you on being a 'newbie' and already picked two of the best all year round laying, dual purpose best 'Heritage Breeds' out there!

Now, to answer your question YES! I have Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, Welsummers, Buff Orpingtons, White Leghorns and Easter Eggers in my primary laying and breeding flock of 45 birds - 40 laying pullets and 5 young roosters of some of the same breeds and all get along just fine.

Many I raised together from day old chicks but some I have added later and there were no major problems at all. Good luck with your setup.

mine are great together...plus if you have a BA roo i belive you can get sex link chicks if he is ovedr a barrd rock, not 100% on that but someone could chime in to verify or disprove.

Another good breed to consider my be some wyandottes...another good hardy breed similar to the other 2

Thank you so much everyone for helping me out! I feel much better about this and I've got my chicks ordered!!! :) it's so nice that newbies like me can get so much good info and help!

Back
Top Bottom