Can I raise chicks in Fall in Massachusetts? Risk of too cold?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
Is it a risk to get baby chicks in the fall weather? I would get them next week, September 1st. This puts them fully feathered at 6 weeks and brings me to mid October weather in Massachusetts. Which can be warm or chilly but not cold. Will they be too cold come December? Will they make it through they winter in the coop/run? I am a new chicken keeper. Anything I need to consider? Can I do this? Will they be safe?

At 6 weeks they should be fine. You start their heat around 95 degrees and drop it about 5 degrees each week. A brooder plate is what I recommend, if not a ceramic heat emitter or red lamp if you must. Also depends on the breed.

Most likely there'd be no issue. How cold do you estimate it being at 6 weeks?

Also, are you integrating them into a flock? If so, do you have and integration plan and ample room to do so?
I estimate 50 to 60 degrees day time and 40 min overnight as the month progresses to November. Is this okay?

Yes I am integrating them into a flock of 2 who are at the current age of 12 weeks and have plenty of space in coop and run and am reading about integration now to be prepared.

Oh yes, that should be fine. I have 4 week olds off heat at mid 40s in spring, but I brood outside. Something to consider if you have the space for it, to both encourage them to acclimate to the cooler temps plus to hurry the integration process a little, so you can have them safely cooped with the older birds sooner rather than later.
How do you brood outside? I have a large plastic box with a screen top that i used with my first group. It would only fit in my run but the run is fortified. I like to hand raise and spend a lot of time with them. How does this work when my older ladies come out from coop into the run at 6am? I am planning on doing early introduction but keeping them separated until safe. Going super slow at it

Excellent! I will read this
I highly recommend brooding in the coop if you have the space!!!!! @rosemarythyme helped me a TON when I started doing it this year! I have poop boards under my roost and was able to built a spot under that for a brooder. I have my 2nd batch in it now and just about ready to let them out (I currently have a broody in the coop with her babies so waiting till she brings them outside to let them out so she doesn't freak on them) to join the rest of the crew with spots they can run and hide if need be. I use a MHP (you can read more on that here) for heat so no worries of a fire. They are normally off the heat around 3-4 weeks with this. I am also in MA but haven't gotten any this late before (got my first ones last year in April. This year I got some in April and have hatched a few, the last ones are 4 days old and being raised by a mama.

What area of MA are you in if you don't mind me asking?

I estimate 50 to 60 degrees day time and 40 min overnight as the month progresses to November. Is this okay?

Yes I am integrating them into a flock of 2 who are at the current age of 12 weeks and have plenty of space in coop and run and am reading about integration now to be prepared.
Oh yes, that should be fine. I have 4 week olds off heat at mid 40s in spring, but I brood outside. Something to consider if you have the space for it, to both encourage them to acclimate to the cooler temps plus to hurry the integration process a little, so you can have them safely cooped with the older birds sooner rather than later.

Is it a risk to get baby chicks in the fall weather? I would get them next week, September 1st. This puts them fully feathered at 6 weeks and brings me to mid October weather in Massachusetts. Which can be warm or chilly but not cold. Will they be too cold come December? Will they make it through they winter in the coop/run? I am a new chicken keeper. Anything I need to consider? Can I do this? Will they be safe?
I started my first flock of 5 girls in Sept. You keep in containment for 6 weeks or so, once they're feathered keep another week or two in confinement to teach them it's "home sweet home" and a safe haven. I only let them out when it was nice weather but they are dummies when it comes to going in coop at no night. Work with them by feeding them out of your hand so they learn you're the " treat person" and maybe come to you.
p.s. Chickens handle cold better than you would think once feathered. Do consider the cold hardiness when picking breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom